Where to buy Loxone kit (DIY)

19 minutes ago, Dunny1234 said:

Hi, I’m also thinking of going down the loxone route, and I’m thinking of getting a wiring plan too, and get my electrician to follow it. How much did it cost you, if you don’t mind? Thanks 

I was going to have our electrician do the cabling but their per-point price was quite high and there were quite a lot of first-fix only connections (window/door sensors).  So, in the end I bought 900m of CAT7 cable and did all the Loxone cabling myself, leaving all the 230v stuff to the electricians, including wring for blinds/UFH/towel rails to Loxone relays.

One of the challenges with DIY, is the termination/sign-off.  You need someone to sign-off all the 230v, and if you turn up with your own DIY panel.. you need to be able to convince your electriciation to terminate into this and sign-off.    We initialy agreed that our electirician would supply all Loxone kit at retail prices (vs. discounted) in exchange for doing all of this (as I think @joth also agreed with his electrician).    I need to reach out to him and confirm this is still the agreement though.

12 minutes ago, Dan F said:

I was going to have our electrician do the cabling but their per-point price was quite high and there were quite a lot of first-fix only connections (window/door sensors).  So, in the end I bought 900m of CAT7 cable and did all the Loxone cabling myself, leaving all the 230v stuff to the electricians, including wring for blinds/UFH/towel rails to Loxone relays.

One of the challenges with DIY, is the termination/sign-off.  You need someone to sign-off all the 230v, and if you turn up with your own DIY panel.. you need to be able to convince your electriciation to terminate into this and sign-off.    We initialy agreed that our electirician would supply all Loxone kit at retail prices (vs. discounted) in exchange for doing all of this (as I think @joth also agreed with his electrician).    I need to reach out to him and confirm this is still the agreement though.

I got quoted 1700-1900 for a full plan (wiring and equipment list) ready to give to my electrician. Once cabling installed they’d quote equipment and commission. It difficult to know how much it’s all going to cost, when they don’t list prices anywhere. Seems expensive 

1 minute ago, Dunny1234 said:

It difficult to know how much it’s all going to cost, when they don’t list prices anywhere. Seems expensive 

Who doesn't list prices?  Download Loxone Config, and use the project planner tool, it will output a spreadsheet with a parts list and all prices

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Dunny1234 said:

Brilliant, thanks Dan. 

If you have any questions while trying out the config software, post them here. It takes a bit of getting used to, but once you get the hang of it, it's incredibly powerful. 

For example, I've just installed magnetic (reed) window sensors on my garage door rail, and mounted the corresponding magnet to the door itself so that one of the reed switches is closed when it's full open, and the other is closed when the garage is fully closed. I also wired in an output relay across the open/close volt-free contact that controls the garage door. Programming Loxone to read the open/closed status based on the reed switches and to add a virtual button to the app to let me open and close the door took about three minutes.

Later, I plan to add some logic so I can see when there's an issue. For example, start a timer when the door starts closing, and flag when it hasn't closed within a certain time (suggesting there's a blockage or some other problem).

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 17/03/2021 at 22:05, Dunny1234 said:

Brilliant, thanks Dan. 

Hey, Did you end up putting in a Loxone system? What route did you go?

I have Loxone config downloaded and now the shop is open I am going to buy the demonstration case, it is pricey at €999 plus 23% vat for me!!! Can this be got cheaper? I have made the decision to go with Loxone over a KNX system so want to start learning about the software.

On 15/05/2022 at 12:05, Johnnyire said:

Hey, Did you end up putting in a Loxone system? What route did you go?

I have Loxone config downloaded and now the shop is open I am going to buy the demonstration case, it is pricey at €999 plus 23% vat for me!!! Can this be got cheaper? I have made the decision to go with Loxone over a KNX system so want to start learning about the software.

Rather than a demo case I bought a few components and wired them together for test rig to play with the Config software. Mini server, touch pure tree switch, 24v RBGW downlight tree, 4.2A 24v PSU, motion sensor.

Some great videos in the foundation series that get you started with Config and covers all the main Loxone hardware components.

3 hours ago, Hilldes said:

Rather than a demo case I bought a few components and wired them together for test rig to play with the Config software. Mini server, touch pure tree switch, 24v RBGW downlight tree, 4.2A 24v PSU, motion sensor.

Some great videos in the foundation series that get you started with Config and covers all the main Loxone hardware components.

Very similar here. I was given a miniserver by a colleague and initially I just hooked up various super cheap switches and bulbs via to the built in digital inputs and outputs. I trusted that the Tree gear would "just work" if I ever bought any, so was more interested to learn about interfacing to less proprietary standards before committing. I played with KNX a bit (and discarded using it at all), got the dmx extension and then got comfortable using the Loxone config programming software before deciding to commit. All in a lot less cost, and a lot more educational for me and my goals, than buying a demo case.

Edited by joth

The demo case would save you about £80 if you were intending to re-use all of what I call the "usable" elements - Miniserver; Tree Extension; Air Base Extension; Touch Tree; Presence Sensor Tree and RGBW Dimmer Tree. Effectively the other bits in the demo case would then be free and might be useful to you. The advantage of the demo case when you're learning is that it's all in one place, plug it in connect to the wifi router in the case (or cable the MS to your home network if preferred) and away you go. The inputs and outputs are also connected to LED's and switches so can help with just seeing how it all works, although LIve View in Config pretty much does the same thing.

If you don't think you will re-use all of the equipment (especially those I listed above) then buying seperate bits might be more cost effective for you, although you could sell some of the stuff online as there is a market for it.

As with many things in life, neither option is a bad choice, especially as you're committed to having a Loxone system anyway.

1 hour ago, Trw144 said:

Anyone know why the Loxone shop is opened? Thought they had tied it down to installers (presume that must have hampered sales?)

They stopped selling direct to the public a few years back, but they recently (less than a month ago, I think) changed their policy.

• Thanks 1