Driveway Advice needed - Devon

Supernube

Hello... I hope you are all well.

I am new to the forum... I have said my hello's and given a quick mention of my plans...or maybe lack of them lol.

I want to put in a driveway for two vehicles.... gravel and gravel grids to avoid the need for drainage. The initial entry way I'm not sure about.... comes down to money.

The idea is to keep the cost down... I'm talking a really nice job...for a novice DIYer...  I have permission... the footpath where the drop kerb will obviously need to go is already due to be worked on and resurfaced... Its now or never basically.

I am pretty much ok with the actual driveway I think... as far as what I want to do and how etc... but Id like some advice on how to set out and approach the entrance from the road as its on a hill.

So its at an angle as you enter...but I want it to level out as soon as it can without being too steep.

There is enough room there to do so but I just cant get my head around it...Im guessing start off level with the hill and then come in sort of level with the road on the higher and gently angle up on the lower side until a point when it levels out fully ???

Although I kind of get it...I can not envision it and I'm not sure what to take in to account ...allow for etc etc.

How do I plan it out.... lol how do i do it ?

I have attached a couple of pictures but I doubt you'll need them... and no laughing at my drawing !! lol.

It might not be quite as big as I marked out...but not sure yet.

Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Thank you

Plan1.jpg

road1.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 16/03/2021 at 22:54, MAB said:

You might find some of the info on constructing gravel driveways on the Paving Expert website below useful.

Construction of Gravel surfaces:-

https://www.pavingexpert.com/gravel01

Cellular Gravel Ground Reinforcement Systems:-

https://www.pavingexpert.com/cellpav1

Thank you. Sorry I haven't thanked you sooner lol but I've been working.

I've had a good look through paving experts various topics but I'm still not entirely sure what my initial approach Should be in regards to the slope from the drop kerb to the level ground... what the levels should be etc etc... etc etc etc lol.

Thank you

1 hour ago, Dave Jones said:

dig down 250mm min, 150mm of type 1 compacted followed by the finish of your choice. as for slope follow the lay of the land and flatten out / retain anywhere where it will ground out the car.

OK thank you. So do I work from the kerb height IN...is the level going to be the high side of the entrance ? if you see what I mean.

Or.. dig down everywhere at 250mm and follow the lay of the land ?

I feel so stupid asking these questions lol.

Thank you

You will need council consent and streetworks ticket / insurance to touch the footway.

After you have reduced levels, you should be able to grade in the MOT by eye.

Buy it by lorryload.  Often highways do not want grave going onto the highway.  They want a bound surface for the first bit to stop spreading gravel over the road.