Damp / Leak Mystery

Rufus77

Last year we noticed a growing damp patch on the inside of a gable end wall next to the chimney breast in an upstairs room. It eventually got so damp that part of the ceiling collapsed. We hired a roofer to fix the leak but despite having a new roof on half of the house and having the chimney repointed and reflashed, the internal wall and ceiling are still damp. We’ve had a dehumidifier on full every day but it just isn’t drying out.

There is some cracking to the rendering on the external wall although it’s not exactly where the internal damp problem is. We’re also aware that we have a lack of ventilation in our loft space but could either of these things be causing such damage? 

I’ve attached some photos. Can anyone please advise what could be causing the problem and how we can fix it. Many thanks.

gable outside.jpg

IMG_20201006_163024149.jpg

I had some cracked render, the water came in a good 2 metres from the damage.

I also had the loft insulation move (as have half my neighbours) a few inches in a storm. Was enough to just cover over the soffit vents, then each time a hoolie came in, water got soaked up into it, then into the ceiling below.

• Thanks 1

Trying to look at the pics on a small screen so correct me if im wrong. Is there a gap under the flashing that will allow water under and onto/over the gable boards? ks like 

Whats stopping water being blown under the blue flashing?

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, markc said:

Trying to look at the pics on a small screen so correct me if im wrong. Is there a gap under the flashing that will allow water under and onto/over the gable boards? ks like 

Whats stopping water being blown under the blue flashing?

No there's no gap. I think it's just the photo.

Might make it worse water running down can capillary into cracks and then find a downhill path onside the masonry effectively sucking water in, previously water was absorbed by the bricks a bit is then available to be drawn in.