Joinery company to make stairs in NI?

JamieM

Would anyone be able to recommend a joinery company in NI to make stairs for us.

For a modern/contemporary open tread oak staircase maybe with some glass

I can find a few with a Google search but thought I’d see if anyone could recommend any?

Thanks

Does it have to be in NI?

We used a company in Wales who CNC machine oak (and other timbers) into staircases and the price was very good.  Our oak staircase, with 10mm glass balustrade and oak hand rails and newel posts was a bit over £2k, including the landing.  The firm were Pear Stairs: https://www.pearstairs.co.uk/

The stair case was delivered by a courier, very well packaged with loads of foam etc.  The glass was sent separately, after the stairs were in place, as they needed confirmation of the fitted dimensions.  This is what it looks like:

Staircase.thumb.JPG.04c9321441985bbd6aa20c99e442c750.JPG

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

We used a company in Wales who CNC machine oak (and other timbers) into staircases and the price was very good.  Our oak staircase, with 10mm glass balustrade and oak hand rails and newel posts was a bit over £2k, including the landing.  The firm were Pear Stairs: https://www.pearstairs.co.uk/

The stair case was delivered by a courier, very well packaged with loads of foam etc.  The glass was sent separately, after the stairs were in place, as they needed confirmation of the fitted dimensions.  This is what it looks like:

Staircase.thumb.JPG.04c9321441985bbd6aa20c99e442c750.JPG

They also have have a great stair configuration tool on their website too - allows you to design and price your stairs and check it meets regs !

I used ballykelly joinery in banbridge for mine. They where pretty good to deal with. Of hand I think for my stairs, open  treads spindles Bannister in oak with the cut string in softwood painted white, and 14 softwood door frames was approx £2000. That was 3 years ago though but they where much cheaper than anyone else I got a price from.

http://www.ballykellygroup.co.uk

Will take a pic when I get home.

Edited by Declan52
  • Like 1

Guest Alphonsox

I've been using Pair Stairs as my design and pricing comparison point. I hadn't considered asking them to quote for delivery to NI but looking at their site again they do claim "Stairs delivered 7-10 days anywhere in the UK". I would rather use a local outfit bit this is definitely another option.

BTW > they seem to have fixed the price calculator on their site, I was getting prices of £17000 for a simple run on Monday !

Guest Alphonsox
7 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

I used ballykelly joinery in banbridge for mine. They where pretty good to deal with. Of hand I think for my stairs, open  treads spindles Bannister in oak with the cut string in softwood painted white, and 14 softwood door frames was approx £2000. That was 3 years ago though but they where much cheaper than anyone else I got a price from.

http://www.ballykellygroup.co.uk

Thanks for that - I'll give them a call.

15 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

No it doesn't have to be - sometimes i just find it easier to meet up with and talk to people in person and generally i do find things a bit cheaper over here compared to mainland.  but would be happy to buy off mainland if the price was right

11 minutes ago, PeterW said:

hey also have have a great stair configuration tool on their website too - allows you to design and price your stairs and check it meets regs !

just ran the online tool and price came back at just over £5k.  will have to play around what it and see what i can do to reduce it

12 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Will take a pic when I get home.

cheers would appreciate that

4 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

If you go on the self build.ie site and look at who is going to be there at the show it will give you a chance to Google a few of the companies and check them out first.

good idea - would like to get a quote pre the show as i imagine they may get loads of requests for quotes at the show so may take a while for them to get back to me.

I can vouch for ballykelly Joinery too, I could get you numbers for a couple of bespoke small joinery companies too if you want, the company my BiL works for that make bespoke kitchens work fairly closely with some fit-out joiners.

14 hours ago, Steptoe said:

I can vouch for ballykelly Joinery too, I could get you numbers for a couple of bespoke small joinery companies too if you want, the company my BiL works for that make bespoke kitchens work fairly closely with some fit-out joiners.

Cheers I've rang a few companies for quotes and think I'll give ballycastle joinery a call later today. I'll give you a shout if i need the numbers you offered. thanks.

12 hours ago, Declan52 said:

Ended up painting the spindles white as with an oak for we thought it was just too much oak so needed to break it

up.

The dog sits there and watches the front door ready to attack and lick visitors to death.

IMG_20170215_192810539.jpg

Stairs look well Declan. we were thinking some glass instead of spindles - will have to see if they do that as i cant see any examples of it on their website.  But I'm sure they will be able to.

thanks

They do glass as that's what I wanted first of all. They make Windows and doors as there main business so glass would be no problem. Having 3 kids we would have been cleaning it all the time so for our sanity we changed our minds. Don't think of hand it was much more expensive maybe a few hundred.

Don't phone ballycastle joinery try ballykelly instead!!!! 

Edited by Declan52
  • Like 1

noted, ballykelly.

we're still unsure about the glass thing too for the same reason you outlined above, but I've got quotes from the others to include glass, so I'll ask for that in the quote so i get a like for like quote and then when i decide which company to go with, i can see us going with something similar to yourself. might put glass at the top with spindles on the stairs themselves though i don't know how that would look.

On 15/02/2017 at 19:36, Declan52 said:

Ended up painting the spindles white as with an oak for we thought it was just too much oak so needed to break it

up.

The dog sits there and watches the front door ready to attack and lick visitors to death.

IMG_20170215_192810539.jpg

IMG_20170215_192742838.jpg

I like that a lot. Picking out the spindles in white makes it look nice and contemporary and lighter. 

• Like 1

On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 21:07, Shell820810 said:

This is ours here. The tread is solid oak right through. Let me know if you want details.

IMG_20170217_210529.jpg

IMG_20170217_210542.jpg

@Shell820810, your stairs are exactly what I have in mind for mine. Can you share some details about price and supplier please?

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...