Alarm system

I think coupled with some perimeter security lighting and other security measures you are at least trying to provide a layer of security.

I look at my neighbour’s house and mine and even a quick look when doing the evening exercise/walk around the block from the main road they would be an easier target.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just following up here as I'm really finding Texecom a pig to deal with.

The PSU in my Elite 88 panel failed after 2 months. I had the installer replace it and never went through the hassle of claiming it under warranty.

Now the Texecom Connect gateway has also failed. Texecom have (eventually) provided a return number, but require the return to go via the supplier.

I bought it online; the Supplier is flat refusing to reply to phone or emails, and the credit card company won't take up the case as it's 11 months old (well within 2 year warranty, but > 6 month they will back).

I would just suck it up and buy another, but it's borderline useful product (equal parts annoyance and reassurance to have it), and given the appalling failure rate I've had so far with their hardware I'm really loath to reward them with more sales.

Just got through to tech support once again (our 4th conversation on the topic) and they're shipping me a replacement today, so I will remove this whinge awaiting a fairer judgement when this outstanding issue is actually resolved!

Edited by joth
changing situation

Texecom power supply failures have been a problem for a few years now, I think they are made by elmdene.

If you want to know more sign up on the texecom forum and you can spend hours reading about the hundreds of people who have wasted thousands of hours trying to fault find dodgy power supplies. The forum is quite active and very useful for obscure programming tweaks. You can easily blag it onto the pro installer sub forum.

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/04/2021 at 12:12, joth said:

Just got through to tech support once again (our 4th conversation on the topic) and they're shipping me a replacement today, so I will remove this whinge awaiting a fairer judgement when this outstanding issue is actually resolved!

It took them a further fortnight to turn it around but I did receive the replacement yesterday and all working again now. So 3/10 for manufacturing reliability, 7.5/10 for service. I have to take some blame for purchasing it via an unreliable online outlet I guess, the reviews are fairly clear on that: https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/cctvbuilder.com

On 30/04/2021 at 13:51, trialuser said:

If you want to know more sign up on the texecom forum and you can spend hours reading about the hundreds of people who have wasted thousands of hours trying to fault find dodgy power supplies. The forum is quite active and very useful for obscure programming tweaks. You can easily blag it onto the pro installer sub forum.

Yeah it was via the forum that I first confirmed this SmartCom had failed.

The PSU was quick to diagnose by the original installer, but as I hadn't purchased the panel through them they were (understandably) not willing to take on the warranty claim for it, and I just couldn't be bothered to follow it up myself over the £40 they charged for the replacement. 

We have Ajax and feel that what @joth has to say summarises my experience accurately, it is a very simple to use system, Just be advise that not sure self install is permitted in their business model, despite if you go wireless it simply involves getting the app and using QR codes to link everything.

On 15/03/2021 at 21:18, nod said:

We used Texecom 

Set and unset with my mobile 

Let’s me no if my alarm has been set or unset 

Can be linked to ADT monitored 

1AA0F10F-7E79-47BF-9B7B-68AAA1768BEA.jpeg

How do you interface between that and your phone? Do you use an app or something? Did you install it yourself?

On 16/03/2021 at 17:08, TonyT said:

I think coupled with some perimeter security lighting and other security measures you are at least trying to provide a layer of security.

I look at my neighbour’s house and mine and even a quick look when doing the evening exercise/walk around the block from the main road they would be an easier target.

Sounds like our neighbours who when they are on holiday leave all the blinds and curtains wide open, have no lighting at all internally or externally and park their car right at the mouth of the drive. 

As soon as it is dusk it a very clear no one is home.

Edited by Carrerahill

1 hour ago, Carrerahill said:

How do you interface between that and your phone? Do you use an app or something? Did you install it yourself?

Texecom connects to internet via the "SmartCom" Connect gateway

https://www.texe.com/uk/uploads/Connect_SmartCom_Leaflet_WEB_4.pdf

This is exactly the piece that failed in my installation a month ago and I just replaced yesterday.

Despite having only had it a few months, I really wouldn't wish this system on anyone. I really do hope Ajax gains more traction with installers.

1 hour ago, tanneja said:

We have Ajax and feel that what @joth has to say summarises my experience accurately, it is a very simple to use system, Just be advise that not sure self install is permitted in their business model, despite if you go wireless it simply involves getting the app and using QR codes to link everything.

In theory self-install is not allowed if you want remote "ARC" monitoring with police call out. A requirement of the URN process is the alarm is professionally installed and maintained under contract with a SSAIB/NSI approved installed.

If you don't have remote monitoring, anything goes, but the manufacturer may want to limit who installs their stuff for market control reasons. (Seems increasingly popular in all forms of tech - our Solar inverter and MVHR both have locked out menus that me - as owner of the install - isn't even supposed to be allowed into according to the manufacturer. It's a crazy world).

• 1 month later...

Prime Day so Ring alarms are going cheap.

More looking at alarms for my new shed than anything but could cover the house and shed via my mesh WiFi.

Run out of space in my consumer unit ? so not sure I can have a traditional house alarm. May just stump for something like a Ring system + a cheap shed alarm with sounder for the shed.

5 minutes ago, daiking said:

Prime Day so Ring alarms are going cheap.

More looking at alarms for my new shed than anything but could cover the house and shed via my mesh WiFi.

Run out of space in my consumer unit ? so not sure I can have a traditional house alarm. May just stump for something like a Ring system + a cheap shed alarm with sounder for the shed.

Power alarm as a spur from whatever circuit your fridge/freezer is on, then if power fails to the fridge the alarm will let you know.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, markc said:

Power alarm as a spur from whatever circuit your fridge/freezer is on, then if power fails to the fridge the alarm will let you know.

Could put it on the smoke alarm circuit ?

• Like 1

Just have a spur off any ring circuit. You can have the Texecom with all wireless equipment. Not sure about the bell box and remote keypads though. Just about to buy 2 full systems for clients so will know much more when their tech support do me a diagram of the typical topology / cable dependant components etc. 

15 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Just have a spur off any ring circuit. You can have the Texecom with all wireless equipment. Not sure about the bell box and remote keypads though. Just about to buy 2 full systems for clients so will know much more when their tech support do me a diagram of the typical topology / cable dependant components etc. 

Getting an electrician will add at least £500 to the cost. Ring (or similar) ftw.

Edited by daiking