Architect woes...

It wasn't easy choosing an architect. We saw a few, produced a shortlist, but one stood out above all the others. The most expensive one, by far. They seemed passionate about our project and we seemed to be 'on the same page'. We dug deep and went with our gut feeling.

Fast forward a few weeks, our relationship is very different now. We think we have inadvertently become 'difficult clients', at least that's how it feels. We had an early problem with a tree survey that we had instructed before we appointed the architect and it resulted in a set-back, we feel that things started to degrade at this point.

We have a lovely design concept that we are very happy with, but we aren't quite there yet. However, we feel as though our Architect just wants to get it done and over with. She has pushed us through the design phase, constantly reminding us that we might miss our timeline if we aren't more efficient with some of our decisions (despite us actually being ahead of where we thought we'd be), then she went on leave for a week and returned to tell us that a 'more important project' had to take priority and we would now have to wait a month. She hasn't answered an email I sent nearly 2 weeks ago.

On paper, she is very experienced, we are not and it seems that a few aspects of our project have caused her major headaches, but we didn't know because she didn't tell us. Our plot is FAR more complex than most, with a complex topography and our desire to retain several mature trees, but that's also part of its appeal. Many of the complications that have arisen could have been avoided if she had been more keen to return for a site-visit, to better understand how her design fits into the plot and hear our thoughts, opinions and concerns. It's a heart-breaking position to be in, we put a lot of faith in this company, we were excited that we had finally found someone that we resonated with, but now we are simply not enjoying it and I'm worried it'll affect the final stages of perfecting our good design. We are worried that if we call it out, the whole thing will fall out of bed and that's the last thing we want, not least because of the money it will probably cost us, but also because we are happy with the concept. We have had some issues for sure, but I honestly don't feel like we've been difficult beyond expectation.

Should we go out on a limb and make our feelings known? Or stop whining and suck it up?

Personally I think speak your mind. It doesn't have to be a rude conversation, but you are paying for a service and you want that service, so you can move on with your project. I wouldn't do it by email as your intentions could get lost.....................

My first architect didn't want to work with me after the design stage, I have no doubt she found me difficult. I feel like architects give you the passionate sales pitch, then you become "just one of their clients". 

• Like 1

I would suggest talking openly about this. Worst case - you'll lose her (but I assume you still keep your design?) but will be able to move on with the project as other doors would open. Best case - you clear the air and move on all together now, with her being very clear on what / when you need.

Reluctance to visit a complex site rings an alarm bell for me. They "think" they know the site from a description, but no one knows it better then you and if your gut feel tells you a site visit is a must to properly integrate the design - then it is a must. 

Overall, it's much better to clearly understand where you are with the architect of a complex project early on - as early as possible. Things will get much more difficult further on.

• Like 2

This is your home and her career so your interests in the project is very different.

Customers can be a pain, but they are also essential for a business to survive, and we all have times when things are tough and not going to plan.

Send her an email politely saying how you feel and that you are concerned she may have taken on too much (giving someone a bit of slack and an outer often leads to a happy ending).

Dont start threats and `legal` jargon as that just causes tension and aggression.

If you are going to continue with the project you need to be working as a team, not enemies.

• Like 2

HI @Mulberry View reading your post it sounds a bit like our experience , we are now on our second architect after the first failed to deliver a set of plans we were happy to send to planning . 

in total the whole experience took 6 months in which time only 4 drawings were  produced , the first meeting was very upbeat with lots of talk regarding build methods , modern styles of architecture , attention to detail  , designing cost out of the build rather than designing something difficult to build , forever home wow factor  etc.

What we actually received as the first draft missed the brief by such a large margin i found it hard to believe the person who drew it had even listened to anything that had been discussed in that initial meeting , over the next 5 months we then received  3 reworkings of the same flawed design . 

In the end it was clear that the way they operated was, 1st drawing sent for us to make adjustments , 2nd drawing now included elevations for adjustments , 3rd drawing final adjustments , 4th sent to planning , as this did not suit our requirements we parted company. 

On a positive note you have a concept you are happy  with so i would definitely pick up the phone and talk through the parts of the design that need attention and get a time frame as to how long this will take to resolve , also diplomatically let her know that until it is right you wont be signing it of for planning so its in her best interest also to help you finalize the design quickly so to free up her time . 

I most certainly would not suck it up, explain how undervalued you feel and also give her the opportunity to explain if she has any frustrations from your side , maybe you can come to an agreement on how to proceed and get back on plan. If you feel during this conversation that she is negative and is not really interested in putting any more time and effort into your project ( already put more into this than i thought i was going to )  ask what options you have regarding walking way and using someone else to finish the design and only pay for the pieces you consider complete , which by the sounds of it are the concept drawings . 

• Like 1

We were lucky that our architect was on the same page as us but some of the early concepts were quite off the wall and we were not afraid to say so.

They were also dead against a basement (through lack of experience) we persisted.

They were excellent at navigating planning politics, one refusal and a second success.

They knew nothing (2015) of low energy build methods, which TBH we did not have in the initial brief, and were used to traditional build methods - i.e. get a quote from a main contractor, detailed drawings etc.

When we brought a turnkey timber frame firm to them, who provided full drawings etc, they wanted to replicate much of that work so we parted company and we took it from there.

Friends got to selecting a contractor before getting cold feet and realising they were not happy with the design but had been too driven forward by architect to hit the stop button. They went back to drawing board, lost a year of time but ended up with something they loved.

Your statement about how 'you might miss your timeline' is an alarm bell. 

This is likely the biggest thing you'll ever do so accept that it may not unfold to a precise timeline.

• Like 3

COVID has prevented a lot of site visits, so I don’t think you are alone.

you do know the architect has other clients to keep happy along with you, so it’s juggling time, so sometimes decisions are required in a timely manner to fit in with available time.

I think a phone call will probably

resolve it.... or bring it to a head, either way at least it’s happening before you are building.

• Like 1

It's a strange one for sure - have they done anything that they didn't say they would do when you spoke to them? 

Are they a one person firm?

There's always a balance of your project being the number one thing for you and then the architect having 3/4/5 others the same but it's the nature of the business - one thing I learnt is to never tell a client that their job isn't a priority - it's fine to say you're not working on it at the moment but if you use the wrong language it can upset clients as you are.

Without getting into the timeline so much, what you need to do is figure out if they can do what you want from an architect, if you are happy with the concept and want them to continue on with then, have a discussion about the timeline, what your priorities are and whether they can meet them or at least try to reset the expectations 

• Like 1

On 15/03/2021 at 11:08, Mulberry View said:

Should we go out on a limb and make our feelings known? Or stop whining and suck it up?

Neither.

13 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

... have a discussion about the timeline, what your priorities are and whether they can meet them or at least try to reset the expectations 

It sounds like it won't be easy. Good luck.

I often feel that some Architects are good at sales, then the hard work starts.

I suspect that you owe/already paid then several thousands.  Have they done and real onsite decision making, or is it the relatively easy office based stuff.

It is easy to redraw a line, bot so easy to remove a foundation and relocate it.

My experience is that sales people are all to willing to walk away from the job once they have sold it as easy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

I often feel that some Architects are good at sales, then the hard work starts.

I suspect that you owe/already paid then several thousands.  Have they done and real onsite decision making, or is it the relatively easy office based stuff.

It is easy to redraw a line, bot so easy to remove a foundation and relocate it.

My experience is that sales people are all to willing to walk away from the job once they have sold it as easy.

We had the common experience that meeting one is with one of the principals in the big office (back when offices were a thing) but the work is then handed off to someone more junior once your business is secured.

In our case the junior (still a fully qualified architect, just not a partner in the practice) was great and totally met our design brief and there was oversight from the partners but there was still a bit of sleight of hand rather than upfront honesty.

Don't suck it up. This seems to be all too common.

A long term client of mine who is very experienced in the world of construction and project management gave me one piece of advice about the industry when I started out on my journey. That was that I needed to question everything anyone told me or did on my project because inevitably they will be working in their own interests and not mine when it comes to delivering either products or services. Cynical as it might be, it has shown itself to be incredibly accurate.

Your architect seems to be taking this route by pushing you to do things to her agenda not yours.

My client's advice was don't take it, push back for want you want and hold yourself strong and make decisions how and when you need to. It's your money. If they refuse to play ball, then find someone else to work with. Yes, this is a pain, but just imagine what it might be like to continue to work with someone behaving like this to you as a paying client so early on in the project.

Edited by SimonD
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 18/03/2021 at 11:16, SimonD said:

question everything anyone tells you ...  because ... they will be working in their own interests

That's such a truism that I'm thinking it would make a good signature line for a self builder.

The simple discipline of habitually questioning professionals' (contractors) statements is one step on the road to due diligence . My god I have regretted not following my own advice.

• Like 3