Help me avoid wrecking my filters

jamieled

During the cold snap we ended up with the filter housings cracking (see below). Leaving aside the need to stop this happening again I need to plumb in the new filter housings.

image3.thumb.jpeg.a84e2c4727c1efe62d5943cade008984.jpeg

I'd previously plumbed everything in using compression fittings as I find it easier to work with. The housings have a 1" female thread. When I plumbed them before I only just got away without wrecking them. I used a brass 1" male compression connector into the plastic 1" female on the filter housings and I'm pretty sure it gubbed the thread but just managed to stay watertight.

I now need to replace the whole housing (both black and blue bits). Is there a better way to do this which reduces the risk of wrecking the plastic thread on the filter housings or do I just need to be more careful?

Did the housings have rubber washers ..?? 1” is unusual - most have 3/4”..?

Wherever you go from threaded polypropylene to brass you will have an issue. Alternative is to put Hep2O push fit 3/4 male fittings onto them, or if you can’t get those to seal then use a 3/4 nylon or ABS nipple and put a female Hep2O tap connector onto that. 

JG Speedfit do a 3/4 in acetal but I think it’s a face flange seal so only works if the filter housing is perfectly flat. 

Also speak to Sterner as they do filter housings with brass inserts.