Opinions on induction hobs

vivienz

7 minutes ago, Crofter said:

I've used induction hobs before but had to be shown how they worked. Is this a common thing? I cannot be bothered explaining to a different set of guests every week how to boil an egg.

You do have a unique problem, but a very simple set of instructions printed out would sort that.

Just pick one that is simple, temp and power control, or just power control.  You will spend less time telling them how to work the hob than you will cleaning an old one.

1 minute ago, SteamyTea said:

You do have a unique problem, but a very simple set of instructions printed out would sort that.

Just pick one that is simple, temp and power control, or just power control.  You will spend less time telling them how to work the hob than you will cleaning an old one.

Had a portable one in an AirBnB I used a couple of months back - Tefal one I think, it had standard settings for things such as boil water, reheat etc. Dead easy to use and very neat. 

They just had a one page instruction on how to use.  

57 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

I also bought the lidl frying pan for my induction hob and for £12 it could not be beat. I have it near a year now and it's  still good. Think the brand was Vita Verde or something similar.

I might pop in there tonight seeing as I didn't get her anything for Valentine's Day.....

The thing about instructions for guests is amusing.

My wife is American and we have people from the States staying all the time. The general attitude is that if things don't work the same way as in America then they are wrong.

The induction hob they actually seem fine with. I don't know how much simpler it could be. You put on the pan and set the power level.Initially people do seem skeptical that it is switched on.

But front loading washing machines, 5 point door locks,  water based central heating, kettles, separating out recycling  and 240v power all seem to be a mystery to them. I constantly threaten to write up a manul or put post it notes on everything so stuff doesn't get broken.

The kettle thing is hilarious.  A company I worked for opened an office in New York.  A couple of us went over there for a few weeks to hire and train some people.  Went to make a cup of tea first morning there and asked the two current employees where the kettle was.  Blank stares.  A few seconds passed and one of them twigged "Oh, you mean like a tea kettle?  I don't even know where you'd buy one of those".  

I was surprised to learn that most people in New York apparently don't have a kettle.  They have filter coffee or drink coffee they've bought take-away.  

Keep it quiet - But when my wife moved here she may have tried to boil milk in the kettle to make hot chocolate. In a way I can see why she thought it would work.

My American mother in law has a stove top kettle. I haven't seen one in the UK in years. Quooker is where its at. This is genius if you think about it, for saving a few minutes a day we are prepared to buy what is basically a fancy kettle for 40x the price.

• Like 1

Despite his general lack of culinary abilities, my husband makes very good soft boiled eggs using a kettle.  The only problem is when the shell fractures and the albumen leaks out - doesn't half make a mess of the insides of the kettle.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AliG said:

My American mother in law has a stove top kettle. I haven't seen one in the UK in years. 

My mother in law used one of these on her Aga for years.  Absolutely stupid design.  No whistle, so you had to remember to take it off when it boiled.  I, of course, boiled it dry the second time I used it!  

Also, the first people we know who got an induction hob a few years ago got a fancy kettle to go with it.  I believe they've since moved on to a plug-in model.

18 minutes ago, AliG said:

Quooker is where its at. This is genius if you think about it, for saving a few minutes a day we are prepared to buy what is basically a fancy kettle for 40x the price.

We have one of these.  I think it's the appliance I'd fight hardest to keep if we had to choose.  Quick cup of tea during an ad?  Forgot to do veggies and you need to serve in three mins?  I just love the lack of hassle and the absence of another appliance cluttering our worktops.

2 minutes ago, jack said:

We have one of these.  I think it's the appliance I'd fight hardest to keep if we had to choose.  Quick cup of tea during an ad?  Forgot to do veggies and you need to serve in three mins?  I just love the lack of hassle and the absence of another appliance cluttering our worktops.

Our boiling water tap (an Itho, rather than a Qooker) is brilliant.  The snag is I ended up drinking loads more tea that was healthy, just because it was so easy to stop and make a mug!

6 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

So it's just that brand that is not great but the  actual idea of a boiling tap is good then

Indeed. 

A 3 way tap would be ideal for us due to the length of that hot leg but cost/reliability thoughts put us off at this stage.

We got our first induction with the new kitchen - on moving in we were dismayed to find that none of our Analon pans would work (alu, non ferrous). Scratching our heads, we opened a plain box that had been left on the counter to find a full set of suitable stainless steel pans - part of the induction hob package apparently. Mrs B has since 'upgraded' to a set of Le Cruset pots. 9_9

Also have a Qooker 3 way tap and no kettle, would never go back. That said, we didn't get the de-scaler module  so probably need to get the free descaler kit pronto...

5 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

another great point, what are peoples opinions on 3 way taps over separate boiling taps? 

I have got horrible feeling that a 3 way tap is a bit to likely to scold a drunk Ed

We have a three way boiling tap, and it is pretty hard to accidentally scald yourself.  The boiling tap handle is locked, with a spring loaded push button to unlock it, plus the handle itself is spring loaded to close when you let go of it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JSHarris said:

We have a three way boiling tap, and it is pretty hard to accidentally scald yourself.  The boiling tap handle is locked, with a spring loaded push button to unlock it, plus the handle itself is spring loaded to close when you let go of it.

i had seen they have a lock button but i didn't know they were sprung loaded.... 

next issue is drinking water? I was always told not to drink out of mixer taps, or is that just not a thing anymore?  

We love our Quooker also. I hear people say things about reliability, but ours gets a lot of use and we have had it for almost 5 years. I do wonder if the issues are scaling in hard water areas.

At least 6 or 7 people I work beside in London have them. I have never heard a single complaint. Everyone loves them.

Its funny how everyone who has them loves them. Imagine turning up on Dragon's Den with a £1000 alternative to a kettle. Everyone would be out.

We have a separate one at the moment. We will move to a combined one the new house (Fusion) as I just feel it will be easier to clean the worktop around one tap than two.

I have been considering a Quooker Combi. This mixes boiling water with cold to create hot water at the sink and eliminate pipe losses. Our kitchen sink is around 25m from the hot water tank.

Cheapest separate Quooker and 3l tank for under the sink is around £650, you can quickly move up to £1000 and above for the Fusions and larger tanks.

One thing to note is a Quooker is a water heating device, so unlike other kitchen appliances it is VAT free in a new build. The above prices include VAT.

There are many other makes now, some cheaper, some similar. However I don't know anyone with a different kind so it doesn't seem worth changing make when you have had a good experience and the others are a lesser known quantity.

If we are talking kitchen gadgets people should also consider an Insinkerator waste disposal.

We have one and it is constantly in use, no food waste rotting away in a recycling bin.

They are quite cheap £2-300 depending on model.

• Like 1