How deep can you dig by hand?

AliG

15 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

tbh i wouldn't want to be down there!

You do have to be very sure about the ground conditions when digging holes. I certainly wouldn't do that around here.

Edited by PeterStarck

• 3 weeks later...

Some positive news.

Having provided our survey and the ground marker positions to SW they have come back to us and said they need to know how deep the pipe is as if it is much over 1 metre it could impact the foundation design. The surveyor told me he reckoned it was 1m or just a bit over, so this should be OK. SW say they are going to check to see if they know the depth but otherwise it might require a trial pit.

They did not say that they accept our position of the pipe, but having said their concern is now the depth I assume that they are happy with our stated position.

Whilst we wait for them to come back with their information I think I will now go out and just dig a post hole as this is a much smaller job and it should be pretty easy to confirm the depth.

Once the pipe position is agreed we then need to go to the council and get an amendment to the planning.

This will be a massive anti climax for pipe fans.

I went out with my auger and hoe. Cored out a hole and hit the pipe in no time.

The pipe is the rusty brown area in this picture. It was only 65cm deep. This would put the bottom of the pipe at 1.05m

So I called the SE. He said that he had just heard back from SW and they had checked at the nearest valve and believed the pipe was 1.5m deep.

We decided it wasn't worth arguing whether we put a strip 500m deep below our raft or 1m deep to protect it from a possible water leak.

They have agreed with our position of the pipe.

Now we have to finalise the redesign and go back to the council to get approval. Everyone tells me they will do it as an amendment, so let's see. The planning officer has historically been painfully slow to deal with.

Then we have to get MBC to redesign the frame and foundations.

IMG_9268.jpg

• Like 1