Avoiding a landing on small set of stairs, building regs

Hello
We are having a 4x5m room extension added to the side of our house....the ground level is about 75cm (maybe less, I can measure it later) below the ground floor of the rest of the house, so it will have steps down into it from our existing living room.
But today our builder told us that to pass building regulations we would have to have a landing, which means the stairs will now take up a significant percentage of floorspace. We had hoped a single set of 3 or 4 steepish steps would be acceptable, as is on the architects plan for which we got a certificate of lawful development.
Is there any way round this, besides having stairs made to regulations and then ripping them out and changing them after? (we're on a very tight budget)
I'd be very grateful for any advice!
Many Thanks :)

Ask Building control.  THEY decide what is acceptable not your builder.  If BC say stairs are okay as per the plans that they appear to have approved, then tell your builder to build to the plans.

Just to clarify, the "Certificate of lawful development" is in effect your planning permission.  That is not building regs.  you have notified building control?  Have they seen the plans?  if not get it all approved before you start.

• Like 1

Ah unfortunately I didn't know that as it's my first experience of building and associated regulations! We would still have gone ahead with the extension even if we do have to have a landing, but of course we'd far rather not!

So if the door opens the other way and not over the stairs, would that get round it?

Many thanks :)