Workshop/Garage Construction

Curious

Guys,

I have plans being prepared for a garage and a workshop at my home.

The garage will be 5.5m x 5m and the workshop will be 3m x 10m, these are outside dimensions.

I want to insulate these well for both sound proofing and warmth. I want to try and keep my noise inside and the noise of the world out as well as them being reasonably thermally efficient. Both will end up relying on electric heating as they are detached from the main house.

Both structures will have a facing brick exterior with a mono pitch roof, what are your thoughts on a construction method? The architect suggested a single brick skin then a membrane and cladding the walls with insulated panels etc, I was expecting it to be brick and block but Ive never had anything built before so dont know why I had that idea really.

I would be grateful to hear anyones thoughts, Im trying to keep the budget sensible so space shuttle insulation ideas wont work, it needs to be readily available systems.

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Curious

If you are building in brick I would stick with the same theme and do brick and block to get a nice thick wall, it will help deaden the noise, it’s easy for trades to build, nothing complicated there.

Concrete floor.

maybe paint finish blocks on the inside to make it look nicer and paint it to bounce light about.

ofcourse lots of different options depending on cost, preference etc

Theralite block inner and brick outer, and then insulated plasterboards dabbed onto the thermalite blocks for a finish. Blown beads in the cavity could be an option to fully fill the cavity. If the garage has a regular door on it then insulating that is a bit pointless as it'll leak heat like a sieve. Infiltration of cold air from outside will outweigh the additional insulation so perhaps a reality check on that would be wise ;) Either that or a very expensive insulated sectional door.....but that will still be draughty regardless so is still a bit pointless imho.

If using direct electricity for heating then these are a no-brainer imo.

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/argo-2ms9k9k/argo-argo2ms9k9k-air-conditioner

Heating and cooling in one box, split to the two buildings. Cooling is important here, as the better you make these spaces the hotter they'll be in the summer ( to a point they are unbearable if you want to keep the doors shut for noise control ). Air con will be necessary then so you may as well go for a split which does both disciplines for both buildings  With a heat pump you'll be getting heating at probably half the price of direct electricity ( as the heat pump will be an energy multiplier ) so will be cheap to run even if the spaces are a little wasteful of the inputted heat. 

Consider making the mono-pitch roofs lend themselves to some PV panels, and put 3 or 4 on each roof.    

11 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

First thoughts are that your garage is a bit short, 6m is fairly normal as far as I’m concerned 5.5 is a squeeze. 

Unless your into tiny Italian sports cars. 

Or unless thats all the land you have.