Drilling into window frames?

puntloos

Quick question:

I'm debating installing speaker(s) into window sills. Frankly I'm not too thrilled with how it looks but just for my curiousity's sake:

How far, and where can I drill into window sills witho ut compromising any thermal barriers, creating cold bridges etc?

Main goal of course would be bolting the speaker to the sill, as well as feeding it the sound cable. 

window.thumb.jpg.b5c87ca07dc1ac71edfc4d4e84fc0eff.jpg

That sounds like a silly way to do it. 

Why would the speaker wires not run in the wall and come up under the window board, through a rubber gromit and into the speaker, I see no reason to drill the window at all. 

In my last sat place I had 4 high level speakers mounted in book shelves, all wires hidden behind the shelving and the speakers looked like a wide book. 

12 minutes ago, puntloos said:

The main reason is speakers sticking out (e.g. the speaker next to it in the picture) it basically eats into the walkway. :)

What is the reason for what looks like really odd placement, one just left of the window, one in the middle.  What's the full picture of what you want to achieve?

If you ever move, the next owner will not thank you for a hole in the window cill with a bit of wire poking out.

12 minutes ago, ProDave said:

What is the reason for what looks like really odd placement, one just left of the window, one in the middle.  What's the full picture of what you want to achieve?

Dolby Atmos 9.2.6 ? - the little pillar is exactly the right place for side speakers, the center of the window is (roughly) where an extra pair would go if you want to go all whoooooah. (that's the audio geek term.) 

12 minutes ago, ProDave said:

If you ever move, the next owner will not thank you for a hole in the window cill with a bit of wire poking out.

Fair point. I'm debating splitting the window in 2 anyway, but it wouldn't be worth splitting purely for the speaker location..

2059056652_Screenshot2021-03-07at19_22_29.thumb.png.c2176db134fe808542106fcc8c568729.png

• Like 1

Okay I see you wanting perfection in speaker placement, but I would be looking at room layout to achieve that with the speakers looking a bit more like they belonged.  Can you overlay the speaker layout over the room layout so it makes more sense with the window position?

I would reserve this setup for a windowless (or window behind listener) cinema room.  We have mere old fashioned 5.1 sound in our two main rooms.

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

Okay I see you wanting perfection in speaker placement, but I would be looking at room layout to achieve that with the speakers looking a bit more like they belonged.  Can you overlay the speaker layout over the room layout so it makes more sense with the window position?

I would reserve this setup for a windowless (or window behind listener) cinema room.  We have mere old fashioned 5.1 sound in our two main rooms.

cinetmp.png.18e35c7b08ccda17912be06ccdcf73ba.png

A quick version.. some minor changes (e.g. thickness of walls are a bit too much)

But yep, our main audio experience is also our only/primary one so it better be good..

18 hours ago, dpmiller said:

only two people can see the screen without cricking their necks?

3-seater couch, and a 3-person family. Yes.

But I'm very open to better furniture arrangements if you have any? The movie/tv watching will be only 3 people, with 'guest seats' only being a nice to have. Perhaps we can put some movable seats behind the main seating if we really want, although not sure if the heads will break the projector beam then..

16 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

You are going to a lot of trouble to enhance the sound on The One Show.

It's covid, don't you know? I'm preparing for the next round! 

SWMBO should install some software to ban you from the AV forums.

Bah my stereo is quite elegant. Looks close to this!
666levinsonHGC.promo_.jpg.7940351d7c0470ff7b2a1e67641c4f84.jpg

Ha, my wife is a software engineer she could actually do that :P

But yes, in fact my main challenge on both aesthetic and practicality are really the side speakers: which one is better

speakerpos1.thumb.jpg.4632f0ed996fcda23c6552f89d7262bd.jpgspeakerpos2.thumb.jpg.36967fd1aeb47c3c8f18883bfa0d38e6.jpg

(noting that on the other side there is 'just wall' and I might have to put the speaker in the walkway there too..

3 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

I would prefer flat panel speakers on the wall at the sides but you may have more refined hearing than me.

I already own the speakers I have in mind to go there. But in general yeah, flat panel is a bit too much of a compromise given the quality of the rest of my system

2 hours ago, Gav_P said:

Have you considered ‘invisible speakers’ that are mounted in the wall behind the plasterboard?

Absolutely but it'd mean I would have to make a much deeper fake wall, so it wouldn't gain me much. (plus- these speakers also are side-radiating..)