Buildings insurance

Pocster

As I’m nearing the point we will be moving in what buildings insurance should I look for?

Structurally it’s complete but assume a ‘regular’ buildings insurer would have a problem with the project not being signed off and complete ....

They are fine with it not being signed off We were in 3 months before sign off 

The insurance started two weeks before we moved in All they said was obviously if you move your plasma screen and Rolex in the two week period They won’t be covered But the general fabric and decor will 

(Adrian flux)

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, nod said:

The insurance started two weeks before we moved in All they said was obviously if you move your plasma screen and Rolex in the two week period They won’t be covered But the general fabric and decor will 

(Adrian flux)

Should I mention I’m half underground??

Don’t want them not being told that to use it as an excuse for not paying out 

(Adrian flux)

They really didn’t go into any depth 

Just asked about an electrical and gas cert and how long the house would be empty 

Gave us 30 days on the later

• Thanks 1

I'm still having difficulty finding a company/product for this.

It would seem that fact I'm "out the ground" is an issue ( probably at around 1st fix level ).

The other issue seems to be that I'll move into it but it won't be complete....

Anyone else got this situation and found a suitable insurer?

Do you not have a self build policy?  That will cover it at all stages, but needs to start before the building work starts.

I will be trying again soon to convert to a normal polict now we are within touching distance of finishing.  but last time I looked, last year even a standard policy was coming out at more than just renewing the self build policy (it is "non standard" construction)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Do you not have a self build policy?  That will cover it at all stages, but needs to start before the building work starts.

I will be trying again soon to convert to a normal polict now we are within touching distance of finishing.  but last time I looked, last year even a standard policy was coming out at more than just renewing the self build policy (it is "non standard" construction)

No. Just a JCT at the start for excavation.

Talking to ArianFlux insurer . She asked me why it's taken so long! - cheeky cow!

Edited by pocster

Yep I have been paying just over £500pa self build insurance for 6 years now.  Hoping I can move to a normal buildings and contents policy soon for less but I think it will be lucky to be less.

I am still insuring our old house (on a small hotel policy) and that's just shy of £600 pa now.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Yep I have been paying just over £500pa self build insurance for 6 years now.  Hoping I can move to a normal buildings and contents policy soon for less but I think it will be lucky to be less.

I am still insuring our old house (on a small hotel policy) and that's just shy of £600 pa now.

Crumbs!

These were recommended too me

https://www.renovationplan.co.uk

Waiting for a quote now. I made her laugh!

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Crumbs @ProDave and everyone says I’m slow !  ?

36 minutes ago, pocster said:

Pretty sure I called them . Problem was work had already started 

Doesn’t matter, just like ProDave’s 6 years doesn’t mean you have to stay with the same company for the duration of the build. 

Another quote today ... nearly 3k for 24 months cover ?

Most insurers won’t cover me because I’ve been too long getting the build done . What are they trying to tell me ! . Perhaps that 500 a year is the best I’m going to get ......

Wonder what @Onoff says when he renews his buildings insurance? . They always ask “ any major work “ or “ property in a good state of repair “ - fecking joke questions !!

Edited by pocster