Are large format tiles harder to work with?

Adsibob

13 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

No idea, where are you based? I can PM you the firm we used - would really recommend them as they do mainly commercial floors and the like, so did not have the 'lifestyle premium' of the fancier installers with the nice showrooms.

Will dig out a link to some posts with my floors in them however they do look just like this... 

https://www.sika.com/en/brands/comfortfloor.html#colors

image.png.92fd03d9b614311f9ac8c0a7898c10fb.png

Hey Bitpipe , thanks for that. That looks exactly what I am looking for.

I'm based in Fermanagh now. I use Sika products alot with work so now i have a product name I'll chat my rep and see who he recommends and what sort of discount I'm entitled to ?

Edited by Ronan 1

14 minutes ago, Ronan 1 said:

I'm based in Fermanagh now. I use Sika products alot with work so now i have a product name I'll chat my rep and see who he recommends and what sort of discount I'm entitled to ?

There are a few variants but it's comfort floor - mine was done 5 years ago so it's probably moved on. There is a grey or black resin base coat which is mixed, poured and raked flat and then cures over 24 hours or so. The guys then sanded it and applied the topcoat which is water based and dries fairly quick again. I vaguely recall that the rubber mat was being phased out as a requirement. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Ronan 1 said:

There is a company near keady co . Armagh that done a mates resin floor. It looks really well.

https://www.resi-lutions.ie/

• Thanks 1

The only thing you have to watch is spilling bleach (or similar) or anything that can dye like lilly pollen or Tumeric and leaving it there for an amount of time.

If it gets wiped up more or less straight away then it's fine.

• 10 months later...

What did you go for in the end @Ronan 1 and how did it work?

I'm just trying to plan floor finishes on an insulated raft with UFH in the slab. So it first time build pm'ing for me first time groundworks conractor done a raft so I'm not confident enough for the slab to be the final floor finish can just see too many potential problems although I do love the polished concrete/microcement/resin floor look.

So basically to ba;ance all the extra cost of the raft I defo don't want to be paying for any leveling screed I'm confident the groundworks guy can pour the slab to a tolerance +/- 3 so I want as little as poss ontop of that so if I've got a good level slab I'm thinking either adhesive tiles or amd not ruling out laminate engineered wood.

Or a mix of both tiles porch hall bathrrom laminate/engineered wood other areas.

Because i'm on a raft I'm trying to get my head around the thresholds of sliding doors (Nordan) the architect say they'll be 25mm above the strucural slab, so does that mean ideally i'm looking for a florr covering 25mm thick? @nod  is this possible with tiles I obviously don't want an underlay or I just want layers that will radiate the UFH through the slab and through final floor finish?

4 minutes ago, Highland build said:

What did you go for in the end @Ronan 1 and how did it work?

I'm just trying to plan floor finishes on an insulated raft with UFH in the slab. So it first time build pm'ing for me first time groundworks conractor done a raft so I'm not confident enough for the slab to be the final floor finish can just see too many potential problems although I do love the polished concrete/microcement/resin floor look.

So basically to ba;ance all the extra cost of the raft I defo don't want to be paying for any leveling screed I'm confident the groundworks guy can pour the slab to a tolerance +/- 3 so I want as little as poss ontop of that so if I've got a good level slab I'm thinking either adhesive tiles or amd not ruling out laminate engineered wood.

Or a mix of both tiles porch hall bathrrom laminate/engineered wood other areas.

Because i'm on a raft I'm trying to get my head around the thresholds of sliding doors (Nordan) the architect say they'll be 25mm above the strucural slab, so does that mean ideally i'm looking for a florr covering 25mm thick? @nod  is this possible with tiles I obviously don't want an underlay or I just want layers that will radiate the UFH through the slab and through final floor finish?

Yes 

12 mil tile x adhesive = 25 mil

• Like 1

wow the adhesive layer is much thicker than I'd imagined for tiling thanks @nod saw your post about Al Muriad and Rocia although I'm building in the highlands we've got family in Preston so might be worth a white van pick job. What size of tile is the biggest that a one man tiler could work with and for ease of handling, I've no idea of the weight of them want to make it an easy job.

On 07/03/2021 at 19:23, Bitpipe said:

No idea, where are you based? I can PM you the firm we used - would really recommend them as they do mainly commercial floors and the like, so did not have the 'lifestyle premium' of the fancier installers with the nice showrooms.

Will dig out a link to some posts with my floors in them however they do look just like this... 

https://www.sika.com/en/brands/comfortfloor.html#colors

image.png.92fd03d9b614311f9ac8c0a7898c10fb.png

This looks amazing bitpipe. 

26 minutes ago, Highland build said:

wow the adhesive layer is much thicker than I'd imagined for tiling thanks @nod saw your post about Al Muriad and Rocia although I'm building in the highlands we've got family in Preston so might be worth a white van pick job. What size of tile is the biggest that a one man tiler could work with and for ease of handling, I've no idea of the weight of them want to make it an easy job.

Both of the above will ship all over the world So no problem to your location 

Both will send samples also 

If you go for a Spanish or Italian Your assured of the quality 

• Like 1