Cantilevers in timber frames

JJD1

Hi,

I am planning a self build project in London which is on a constrained site (11x6m) and initial designs include a cantilever. It's likely that the supporting 'column' will be 5m wide, whilst the cantilever will be 6m, which complicates things somewhat. My question is, can this be done with a timber frame? I have had a few conversations with timber framing companies... one wouldn't deliver inside the M25 (so didn't consider whether it's possible),

another said they wouldn't take it on and I am yet to hear back from the others. To note, a supporting column on the right hand side of the building is unlikely to be possible. 

I'm considering steel frame construction at the moment as those who I have spoken with have all deemed it possible, albeit I recognise the disadvantages of residential steel frames.

Have you carried out a timber frame build with a cantilever? If so, would you mind sharing your experience with your timber frame provider? I would really welcome recommendations of any timber frame companies and/or structural engineers who might work in London and you have experience with.

Thank you.

image.png.a2575cd89df1bc8111894ad0adf7af30.png 

image.png

I have a cantilevered first floor box at the front of my TF build - there is a steel frame inside that supports it. 

I used MBC for a passive standard frame package.

If you have planning drawings then they can give you a cost estimate.

19 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

I have a cantilevered first floor box at the front of my TF build - there is a steel frame inside that supports it. 

I used MBC for a passive standard frame package.

If you have planning drawings then they can give you a cost estimate.

That's great, thanks Bitpipe. How far does your cantilever extend from the rest of the build?

Will add MBC to the list! Cheers.

I have some cantilevers within my structure which are entirely timber, but they're not multistorey. You'll most likely get a structure that includes a steel frame component as part of the timber frame, like @Bitpipe has said. I didn't use a timber frame company but built the whole frame myself.

13 hours ago, JJD1 said:

That's great, thanks Bitpipe. How far does your cantilever extend from the rest of the build?

Will add MBC to the list! Cheers.

About a metre or so and 3 m wide.

The SE will do the calcs and that will dictate the steel design. Only issue you may run into is designing the floor around  the thickness of the steel beams. Also have to watch for excessive cold bridging.

we wanted to have cantilevers in our garden room so that one corner could be completely open but it wasn't possible without great expense. so we put a pole in instead. sometimes things just have to be compromised on.