Retrofit suspended ceiling for insulation?

Craig88

Hi, I live in a 1930s top floor apartment with a flat roof above me. I’ve been considering getting new double glazing but I think my main issue is the roof is really poorly insulated which means the apartment gets freezing in winter and boiling in summer(31c at 1am and 26c at 7am). 

Is there a specific type that works best for residential? My brief searching seems to be that it’s mostly meant for commercial use and would make my apartment look a bit office like. Not sure if battening some type of lightweight insulation board against the roof and plastering over it would be a better solution?

thanks

44 minutes ago, Craig88 said:

Hi, I live in a 1930s top floor apartment with a flat roof above me. I’ve been considering getting new double glazing but I think my main issue is the roof is really poorly insulated which means the apartment gets freezing in winter and boiling in summer(31c at 1am and 26c at 7am). 

Is there a specific type that works best for residential? My brief searching seems to be that it’s mostly meant for commercial use and would make my apartment look a bit office like. Not sure if battening some type of lightweight insulation board against the roof and plastering over it would be a better solution?

thanks

If you have looked at commercial Forget grid and tile They won’t benefit you A top hat and plasterboard can fitted loosing you125 minimum 

A gyp click ceiling can be fitted loosing minimum of 60 mil

Just depends how tight for space you are

CC841C4E-5C85-4140-AA0B-841CCE3885D4.jpeg

C4E0819A-7E68-40DC-9B79-9DC82126AC79.jpeg

Edited by nod

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/03/2021 at 15:39, nod said:

It’s a gypliner system with a clip bracket 

I will see if I’ve a box knocking about and give you the code

Do you have an estimate of what this would cost? I received a quote from a company for £15k! That’s just for the 2 bedrooms, living room and hallway. So excluding the kitchen and bathroom. The entire apartment is only about 50m2 or so. Granted the cupboard doors would need to be removed and cut off so they don’t hit the roof.

Seems it might be worth it to just heat it up/cool it down more via electricity instead as that payback period would be many many years. 

Would it not be best first to find out how the roof is constructed. I would assume it is a cold flat roof. If insulating it you will need to make sure it does not impact the ventilation and lead to condensation issues. Also have you checked to see if you own the roof or does it belong to everyone in the building?

You might be able to take the ceiling down and insulate a space above it so not lose any height. Or you might not.

I would think the simplest solution might be taking down the plasterboard and replacing it with insulated plasterboard. 72.5mm insulated board would be a massive improvement and can be bought for around £15 a square metre.

15k for 50m2 is crazy money.