Hi, I am living in Lochaber

asklair

Quick about me:

Started visiting ebuild.co.uk, fantastic knowledge base, 3rd time lucky got planning permission, did ground works, sold the site (ran out of time, all the kids had fledged the nest) on to local builder who has almost completed the build on a site where the planners just laughed at my vision. Moved to Lochaber and we bought a semi detached Dorran house with no garden, the attributes of the house we were wanting was away up north no neighbours, small house very large garden. We did get the small house and a location. The old saying location, location and location.

Still got that itch to build my house.

Finally glad to see this site up and running, many thanks for all those who helped me on ebuild.co.uk and those who kept the dream going on this site.

John

• Like 1

Thank you, everyone, I need to own up and say we live in Glen Etive, yes it's not much of a building plot, bit the bullet and got  Leven Homes to do all the renovating work, they were fantastic. I was always told never ever buy a Dorran house, we bought it thinking we would knock it down and rebuild, in fact, we had no idea what we were going to do, within seconds of seeing the house it was ours. So what I am trying to say is that even if you start a self-build there are points when you can and should bail out, and sometimes that house you were told never to buy, well sometimes just go and think about it. For me get a builder in to do the work, never but sometimes it's the best option.  So if anyone wants my views on a Dorran house just ask. I would not even attempt to build in Glen Etive, still want to do a self-build. Not having a garden, means no gardening work, and flip it around I just walk outside and there's one big garden. Still got work to do about the house so questions will be asked. I must admit everything could have gone pear shape, its been one roller coaster ride.

How far down the Glen are you. It's a long way to the end (and then you are a long way from anywhere) and liable to be cut off by snow in a decent winter.

Dorran houses have a reputation for concrete cancer and being hard to get a mortgage on. But they are basically sound if not particularly well insulated.  No shortage of places to go walking there!!

One has to ask being so remote what do you do for a living? I can't imagine being that remote as long as I still have to work. But having my boat on a mooring at the top of Loch Etive sounds very attractive.

10 miles down the glen, living in the same house which one of my neighbours a while back lived in and his younger siblings went to the local school. Went for internal insulation, never lived in such a warm house, easy to heat too. Yes, there are still issues, looking at a half full glass, walking is amazing if I had time.

It's not remote as where we planned to go, takes the same time to get to Glasgow as from Oban, Fort William is nearer than Oban which is only 55 miles away, or 35 miles by boat.

Last 2 winters or should I say all our winters have been so mild, looking forward to being snowed in. What do I do for a living, I did a job share as a postie in Oban ( I said it was a roller coaster ride, got a flat in Oban where I stayed for the week on I worked (Ikea fold down bed), the kids have a base there, the flat was never part of the plan either) You will not believe the next bit, got away from Royal Mail and got a years contract which the main part was organising the renovation of a hall (Dorran construction). My new job starts in April, just got to find it. Glen Etive has a litter issue, that would be my dream job picking it up and talking to people about it. A privilege that we can live here. Any job ideas would be great to hear from anyone.