Half finished project up for sale in Hastings

odd, looking at it on a map, i don't know how you get access to it!

https://tinyurl.com/26njnrut

i reckon there is more to this than meets the eye.

Edit: wow it is accessed, through here!

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.8654868,0.5942614,3a,61.9y,327.54h,74.86t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4gx0jApL6Pia-X2adrlZXw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://hastings.moderngov.co.uk/Data/Planning/20130619/Agenda/Plan - 207-219 Priory Road (19 06 13).pdf

Edited by Moonshine
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

?

No way, that must have been a complete pain in the bum.

Looking on the map I'm amazed they got PP, would never get that through here.

A bit of snooping on google earth and it looks like they started in 2016.

Edited by Water

1 hour ago, Moonshine said:

odd, looking at it on a map, i don't know how you get access to it!

https://tinyurl.com/26njnrut

i reckon there is more to this than meets the eye.

Edit: wow it is accessed, through here!

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.8654868,0.5942614,3a,61.9y,327.54h,74.86t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4gx0jApL6Pia-X2adrlZXw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://hastings.moderngov.co.uk/Data/Planning/20130619/Agenda/Plan - 207-219 Priory Road (19 06 13).pdf

That will limit your choice of furniture etc.

If anyone is thinking of bidding, CHECK that it has services connected, at least water, drainage and power.  If not, and that "tunnel" is your only access, best of luck getting it serviced via that route.

The guide price does sound cheap for the area but even if you can complete it, with the tunnel access, and no view it is not my idea of a dream home.

That must have taken some work to "create" that plot.  I reckon it's a good chunk of 4 back gardens, and a sliver off 2 more, plus the access through the tunnel.

I would run a million miles away from something like this - they have hit something that has sent them down so you don't want to either spend the money to find out what it was or faceplant straight into the same problem.

• Thanks 1

Interesting stuff and great to read the knowledgeable comments.

I wonder if they just ran out of cash or if they hit a fundamental issue with the ground and thus the labour cost broke the bank, hand dig? Also the photos are wide angled, when you count the bricks it's not that big but seems to breach the PD guidance?

Someone will buy it though.

10 hours ago, ProDave said:

If anyone is thinking of bidding, CHECK that it has services connected, at least water, drainage and power.  If not, and that "tunnel" is your only access, best of luck getting it serviced via that route.

I think you have hit the nail on the head

https://publicaccess.hastings.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?keyVal=_HSTBC_DCAPR_117827&activeTab=summary

It looks like they have still to discharge a planning condition for materials and fowl and surface water.

The planning application hasn't been decided and a quick look at the drainage plan shows a soakaway for surface water and a pumping station for the fowl out under the "tunnel".

Either the soakaway doesn't work and they aren't allowed to discharge into the sewer. Also the drainage drawing shows the soakaway very close the boundaries, and I don't think however big it is it can be fitted into that area being 5m from the house and 2.5m from the boundaries. Also how are you going to dig it out with the tunnel access.

I don't think I want to be laying drainage through that 'tunnel'

Tbh I think the project us a dead duck and unfortunately someone has been badly burned, and whoever buys this will suffer.

Edit:

It looks like it's a surface water problem and a soakaway is unlikely to work, especially as the site is apparently on clay.

HS_CD_20_00770-SUDS-839970.pdf

Edited by Moonshine

7 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

I think you have hit the nail on the head

https://publicaccess.hastings.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?keyVal=_HSTBC_DCAPR_117827&activeTab=summary

It looks like they have still to discharge a planning condition for materials and fowl and surface water.

The planning application hasn't been decided and a quick look at the drainage plan shows a soakaway for surface water and a pumping station for the fowl out under the "tunnel".

Either the soakaway doesn't work and they aren't allowed to discharge into the sewer. Also the drainage drawing shows the soakaway very close the boundaries, and I don't think however big it is it can be fitted into that area being 5m from the house and 2.5m from the boundaries. Also how are you going to dig it out with the tunnel access.

I don't think I want to be laying drainage through that 'tunnel'

Tbh I think the project us a dead duck and unfortunately someone has been badly burned, and whoever buys this will suffer.

There's an existing foul drain through the tunnel to the edge of the footpath which seems to be part of their site which they're permitted to connect to, so that should be OK.

Surface water is an issue though - they don't have permission to discharge to the foul sewer, haven't provided a percolation test or evidence of groundwater levels and it's a pretty tight site so they may not be able to get 5m from any structure to build it either.

HS_CD_20_00770-SOUTHERN_WATER_PLAN-838858.pdf

9 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

I didn't think water boards could refuse surface water to combined foul if site conditions did not allow for soakaways? I had permission for rainwater into foul as recently as like 5 years ago

I have just had it from my water board for my build, as there is a combined sewer in front of my plot. I had submit the calcs showing the soakaway wouldn't work.

Are those sewers in the water plan foul or combined?

If it is a surface water problem, surely the applicant or their architect would have asked if they could discharge into the sewer already to negate the need for a soakaway.

Edited by Moonshine

4 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

Can’t see a tunnel but if there is and a fire engine can’t get through it I can’t see how building control can sign it off as It won’t comply with fire regs.

Automatic fire suppression would permit the dwelling to be habitable and compliant. 

9 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Automatic fire suppression would permit the dwelling to be habitable and compliant. 

Sprinklers are a planning condition - which doesn't yet appear to have been discharged. I'm curious whether their water supply will be big enough to support it.

There seems to be quite a bit of history here - permission was originally granted in 2012, the current structure was built in 2013 to a different plan and enforcement action was taken against it, they eventually got full planning for the as-built structure but it doesn't look like very much has been done since then.

Looks like they've upset the neighbours during building work too...

6 hours ago, pdf27 said:

Sprinklers are a planning condition - which doesn't yet appear to have been discharged. I'm curious whether their water supply will be big enough to support it.

There seems to be quite a bit of history here - permission was originally granted in 2012, the current structure was built in 2013 to a different plan and enforcement action was taken against it, they eventually got full planning for the as-built structure but it doesn't look like very much has been done since then.

Looks like they've upset the neighbours during building work too...

A mist system takes up no more water that it takes to fill a bath, and only requires a piddly flow from a 15mm inlet. 
Can’t see why planning would be an issue? Just fit the system and ask questions later. Applying retrospectively would be par for the course if I was interested in going for this dwelling. 

• 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I wonder if the new owner will join the forum?

I really hope whoever has brought it has done their due diligence, and can deal with the surface water and get condition 6 discharged;

image.png.1f9f52e2b501cda6afa54adc89367d2f.png

Edited by Moonshine

• 4 months later...

Mr Punter, you have not seen the real Hastings. Been along all Saints Street, or Rockanore to the net drying sheds?

The most music festivals in the country.

World champions for  'dress as a pirate day'.

Of course there are less good areas.

Developers have their eyes on destroying the best of the seafront, to allow Londoners a weekend pad in the 'next Brighton', but so far the locals prevail.

re that squeezed in house. I can't say I like it, but the absence of parking matters less in old Hastings than most places, where there are masses of small old houses with no parking, and about 20 pubs an plus small shops, within walking distance, but the steep climb/stagger home.

For that reason I feel the buyer will be a person who wants to live centrally, not a developer, but we will see. 

1 hour ago, saveasteading said:

Mr Punter, you have not seen the real Hastings. Been along all Saints Street, or Rockanore to the net drying sheds?

Oddly I went there last Thursday for a day out.  We went to a very good fish restaurant, No. Eight, walked up the steps to East Hill to take in some views then around the Old Town and on to Hastings Museum, which is a fascinating eclectic collection of almost everything.

The trains there and back were delayed / cancelled but the journey had some pretty scenery.  There were the usual large number of druggies and alcoholics, which really let the place down.  Brighton is not much better but it doesn't seem quite so down on it's uppers.

Mr Punter,    Amber Rudd famously said much the same as you, not knowing she was being heard, 'but at least it isn't too far back to London'.

There was an article in the press, and tv,  this week about how towns on the coast were disadvantaged.

It is largely, I think,  due to only having half the opportunity to travel...one way is all sea. So they are literally dead ends.

I have found that they can be like an island mentality.

the druggies etc are not necessarily the produce of the town, but of course some are.

No Eight fish restaurant rather posher than the other 20 chip shops,  but in a good way.

That survey that  someone linked to this week....all the values per m2, shows coastal towns of the SE as half the cost of just 20 miles inland.

I like Hastings, and Broadstairs.