Bricks missing & loose in loft party wall

Hello everyone,

I have recently moved into a 1960's mid-terraced property. I had a full survey done at time of purchase and nothing came back of any concern. I went into the loft for the first time and spotted that some brickwork is loose and missing on the party wall on one side of the property - as identified in the attached pictures. I was wondering if anyone can tell me if this is something to be concerned about and could pontentially become an issue over time? Everything else in the loft looks to be in good order, such as the timber supports and i cannot identify any cracking along chimney breasts or other walls. Any help would be greatly appreciated, unfortunatley I do not have a great deal of knowlege in this area.

many thanks,

20210305_103153.jpg

Frankly that’s typical of houses of that age, if the wall has no major cracks it won’t be a problem. In some terraced houses they didn’t even brick the whole area and neighbours could walk into others lofts!!!

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Frankly that’s typical of houses of that age, if the wall has no major cracks it won’t be a problem. In some terraced houses they didn’t even brick the whole area and neighbours could walk into others lofts!!!

Haha... I had a place like that once, 12 Victoria terrace houses all connected with one open loft space. You could pop up through your loft hatch and visit any of your neighbours through theirs! 

I built mine up so it was ‘secure’. 

my 1930s semi was just like your photo above... I left it alone. 

• Like 1

a lot of old pit houses had communal loft spaces, some even had the electricity supply as two bar conductors running along a purlin with droppers to each house ..... needless to say that i saw a few instances of `jump leads` attached to the bar conductors and taken into the house before the electricity meter. 

Mine was open to our neighbours, so I sealed mine up as my neighbours were free spirits and more than likely they would set my house on fire by accident.

double sheeted plasterboard and all gaps filled and taped then fire foam around the perimeter.

On 05/03/2021 at 11:46, Gav_P said:

Haha... I had a place like that once, 12 Victoria terrace houses all connected with one open loft space. You could pop up through your loft hatch and visit any of your neighbours through theirs! 

I built mine up so it was ‘secure’. 

my 1930s semi was just like your photo above... I left it alone. 

Lack of a fire barrier would be more of a concern.