external insulation

terrytz

I'm trying to find out what insulation options on a solid walls I have and which ill choose so advise or suggestion's insight in any way would be welcome i have been told they are grants for this work this could even be a factor when making my choice 

3 hours ago, terrytz said:

I'm trying to find out what insulation options on a solid walls I have and which ill choose so advise or suggestion's insight in any way would be welcome i have been told they are grants for this work this could even be a factor when making my choice 

What period house is it? This will inform the choice of EWI and render system. If it's period property you may want to go down the route of using natural insulations with lime render. Otherwise an EPS EWI system, but you need to consider breathability for the sake of the building fabric.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, SimonD said:

What period house is it? This will inform the choice of EWI and render system. If it's period property you may want to go down the route of using natural insulations with lime render. Otherwise an EPS EWI system, but you need to consider breathability for the sake of the building fabric.

Breathability not too much of an issue with EWI as the wall will be warm. As long as it can dry to the inside and you're not planning on having an extra humid house EPS will be fine. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SimonD said:

its a 1920 build I'm still in the process of buying or id put pictures up 

9 minutes ago, terrytz said:

at the moment the place is in a bad way and damp is everywhere single glaze windows still that are rotten roof damage ect

Do be very careful as these places can be quite a money pit.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

its a 1920 build I'm still in the process of buying or id put pictures up 

at the moment the place is in a bad way and damp is everywhere single glaze windows still that are rotten roof damage ect

I actually have one of those. It was a bungalow built mid 1920s. Ours is 1st generation cavity wall of all things. We bought it as a development property, and following professional advice (from several sources) decided to go for renovation and extension. Taking it from about 76sqm to 200sqm. I really do kick myself on many days we didn't explore knocking it down and building new, especially because we're building an energy efficient home. (the reality is that the planners probably wouldn't have let us knock down and rebuild but we'll never know).

Sometimes these projects can be amazing and fun, but you really do need to love the house because you'll be problem solving all the way. This has been the most difficult part for me. In our last place we renovated a mid 1800s cottage and I loved it to bits. This one I didn't love so it has been much harder. However, I'm now getting to a different place since the windows went in and I'm really warming to it again.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

Do be very careful as these places can be quite a money pit.

ye I'm finding that this place is going to make me poor very quickly but its value to use is worth it i think ie even if we go over budget or the house is not worth what we put in ££ we're confident were going to be happy 

4 hours ago, Iceverge said:

Knock it and rebuild I'd say. 

its a semi detached and I'm thinking the neighbours wont make things easy we have what we wont in mined so that's not an option 

2 hours ago, SimonD said:

but you really do need to love the house because

ye so the actual house not really BUT from when we first seen it seen what it could be not amazing but everything we been looking for which was not really in our budget in our opinion its a diamond in the rough and if we get the renovation in or around budget then its value is worth the stress and we think we would find it difficult to get a better location for us also

2 hours ago, SimonD said:

decided to go for renovation and extension

ye we only need a 3x8m single floor extension to get what we wont but we also need to nock down and rebuild the garage a little further back in he garden the rest is ideal 1920 simple strong sturdy build with high ceilings bay windows the right size garden ie not small drive way ect 

Edited by terrytz