Boost a Main

tomcoleman

On 19/09/2021 at 11:16, Nickfromwales said:

OK, the DAB unit you linked is simply a pump that sucks water out of a A>B break tank ( a barrel basically ). Barrel runs dry, outlets 100% cease to flow. Major issue

I'm not sure if your are referring to my post, but this does not happen with the DAB system I'm using i,.

I does not in crease flowrate (just marginally), just the pressure. The tank is just used to give instant pressure, once flowing the pump is pumping the main water straight through system.

On 30/08/2021 at 11:28, GaryM said:

It's very simple to install, just put  in your main water supply.

Quote from DAB's website:-

"The ESYBOX MINI 3 cannot be connected directly to the mains water supply, it must be connected to a suitable break tank."

In some areas, putting a vacuum deficit onto the cold mains is a prosecutable offence....

Edited by Nickfromwales

Just reading up on the E.Sybox and it's a break tank setup, like Nick says. The ~500L tank fills with water and then this is pumped out at up to 6/7 bar, if needed. A nice compact unit if your incoming flow/pressure is totally inadequate.

However, pretty certain it will stop functioning once the tank is run dry. Most water companies allow a maximum of 12L/min to be pumped directly from the mains - either way, the E.Sybox doesn't seem to be linked to the mains in any way.

• Thanks 1

So my options are basically:

- pay Thames Water £4k to upgrade my connection, without any guarantee of what it will be like after the upgrade; or 

- buy the E. Sybox and get my plumber to install that. This won’t actually be much cheaper than the Thames Water quote, because I need to spend some money upgrading the structure of my loft floor to cope with the 650kg weight of the E. Sybox.

It’s odd because over the phone Thames Water said i should have enough pressure “for your needs” and about 16L a minute, but when I asked them to put it in writing they apparently couldn’t. To me, that stinks. 

You have good static pressure, though, so an accumulator would be cheaper and less prone to failure (no expensive pump). You'd still have the weight problem regardless, although a composite tank would be lighter. 

A 450L composite tank will set you back around £800.

8 minutes ago, fezster said:

You have good static pressure, though, so an accumulator would be cheaper and less prone to failure (no expensive pump). You'd still have the weight problem regardless, although a composite tank would be lighter. 

A 450L composite tank will set you back around £800.

Thanks @fezster. Is a composite tank the same as an accumulator? Sorry, I’m probably being super dim.

1 hour ago, Adsibob said:

Thanks @fezster. Is a composite tank the same as an accumulator? Sorry, I’m probably being super dim.

No. An accumulator is a sealed and pressurised expansion vessel. It stores water under pressure. 
The composite tank is a bucket of water, open to atmosphere and stagnant until used by the pump sucking it out and forcing it through your pipework. The pump can empty the tank quicker than a poor cold mains could refill it, so when it’s empty your taps run bone dry. :S 

On 22/09/2021 at 12:55, Nickfromwales said:

Quote from DAB's website:-

"The ESYBOX MINI 3 cannot be connected directly to the mains water supply, it must be connected to a suitable break tank."

In some areas, putting a vacuum deficit onto the cold mains is a prosecutable offence....

It has an inbuilt tank and designed so you don't need any other components.

21 minutes ago, GaryM said:

It has an inbuilt tank and designed so you don't need any other components.

Sorry, I don’t get your point. 
I have said it has a tank, that’s the problem. 
It’s design is one thing, but it boasts a lot without recognition of its flaws and subsequent intolerable failings.

The ‘tank’ is exactly that, and not a pressure vessel? Ergo, when it’s dry, you stop getting wet ;)