Roof terrace construction

DaveH

I have a small roof terrace area under construction which I would like to tile eventually. The latest roofer to have a look initially suggested using a rubber membrane for the waterproofing layer rather than fibreglass etc, but has now suggested I would be better off using asphalt. This is something he doesn't do so I would need to find a different company for this. Does anyone have any opinions regarding the best construction methods for a roof terrace with a flagged/tiled finish?

The area I am getting quotes for is 8m long x 1m wide and is for an inset balcony with a roof over. It gets very little rain or weather.

Thanks

If you want it to BM be bombproof You could use fiberglass and raise the flags up on podiums allowing the water to drain through and off to a drain and hopper at either bottom corner 

3 hours ago, markc said:

What is the building construction? or at least the balcony floor? this will affect the choice of waterproofing

The building is traditional block and stone construction. The floor construction for the balcony (and that entire floor) is block and beam.

1 hour ago, nod said:

If you want it to BM be bombproof You could use fiberglass and raise the flags up on podiums allowing the water to drain through and off to a drain and hopper at either bottom corner 

Thanks for the input. Do you know if there are any shallow pedestals? The original builder didn't construct the balcony area as per plans and I don't have as much height as I should have. It's not insurmountable but I'm trying to keep the build up as shallow as possible to allow more insulation. I do have space underneath (above the living space ceiling) to add more insulation.

I have some adjustable ones and they definitely go to 35mm as @nod says.  You can get fixed height as lo as 18mm.  I have porcelain pavers on my roof terrace.  I think they are about 18mm.

Don't rule out having a small step up from the inside.  You will hardly notice because there is a door threshold.  On another property we have a step up of about 160mm and it is hardly noticeable.  We did it because it had slightly different ceiling heights to the rest of the terrace but we wanted the balconies to line up horizontally.

1.0m depth is really tight to do much with.  1.5m gives you proper space and extending out by 500mm does not require significant engineering.  May need planning amendment though.

15 hours ago, DaveH said:

The building is traditional block and stone construction. The floor construction for the balcony (and that entire floor) is block and beam.

Thats ideal for fibreglass, if it was timber i would have gone with a flexible membrane

Thanks all. I shall do some more research. I see there are some sytems out there that allow tiling to be directly bedded onto the membrane rather than using pedestals. Any pros and cons to this?