How to fill large voids left from skirting board removal?

Oxbow16

Hi

We've just had our kitchen floor re-tiled. We removed the skirting boards before they came, and we do not want to put skirting boards back. We much prefer not having them. The trouble is, while most of the room is fine and may need the odd dab of filler for SB nail holes etc, there are a couple of areas where there is quite a deep void (or is "recess" a better word?). One such area is a solid wall, and the other is a plasterboard wall which is actually the side of a larder cupboard.

What would be the best way to fill these areas and what should I use? The finish doesn't have to be great. It's an old farmhouse, the type where we wear welllies indoors etc. and the walls are not perfectly smooth. So rough and ready is fine.

Many thanks

(PS - Hope I chose the right forum, I guess it's not strictly speaking plastering or rendering, but is it close enough??)

IMG_20210304_105000048.thumb.jpg.41b49f20b673991cd711d30df76d85c2.jpg

IMG_20210304_105059456.thumb.jpg.4b1b3a9bfaf94e034672e9b89fa7e0e3.jpg

IMG_20210304_105223768.thumb.jpg.e150086f72f4045ea3110b0dd637d308.jpg

If you are dead against any form of skirting and finish is not important  I would go for a sand/cement render mix and a a hard corner (piece of concrete lintel or steel) to prevent the exposed corner chipping off. Plaster wont stand up to the knocks from vacuums and sweeping etc.

Many thanks for the replies.  

2 hours ago, markc said:

If you are dead against any form of skirting and finish is not important  I would go for a sand/cement render mix and a a hard corner (piece of concrete lintel or steel) to prevent the exposed corner chipping off. Plaster wont stand up to the knocks from vacuums and sweeping etc.

We are indeed dead against :)  

I'm relatively new to all this, but I did do some mortar repairs to my fireplace recently and was pleasantly surprised how well it came out.  So I like that option.  Are we just talking a basic sand /cement (4:1) type mix?  Should it be done in stages to build up the levels or with render/mortar can it all be done in one go?  

Cheers

1 minute ago, Oxbow16 said:

Many thanks for the replies.  

We are indeed dead against :)  

I'm relatively new to all this, but I did do some mortar repairs to my fireplace recently and was pleasantly surprised how well it came out.  So I like that option.  Are we just talking a basic sand /cement (4:1) type mix?  Should it be done in stages to build up the levels or with render/mortar can it all be done in one go?  

Cheers

4:1 will be fine, i would fill to almost level in one go, leave to go off and then finish to level. this will prevent sagging while wet