Time of year for EWI and K Rend

Now we have pretty much sorted the inside snags inside and plumbing issues we can turn our focus onto the EWI and render and getting the house looking decent from outside. 

We are looking at 50mm of EWI and have settled on the pure white silicone Krend rather than the pearl as we prefer the clean white appearance rather than anything yellowy.

Is there anything in particular I need to be aware of, e.g. should it be done at a particular time of year. Whilst I'm keen to get it sorted ASAP I don't want to risk any weather related issues.

27 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Now we have pretty much sorted the inside snags inside and plumbing issues we can turn our focus onto the EWI and render and getting the house looking decent from outside. 

We are looking at 50mm of EWI and have settled on the pure white silicone Krend rather than the pearl as we prefer the clean white appearance rather than anything yellowy.

Is there anything in particular I need to be aware of, e.g. should it be done at a particular time of year. Whilst I'm keen to get it sorted ASAP I don't want to risk any weather related issues.

Make sure your drip details are sufficient - this is the number one reason you'll get algae bloom and water staining. We can clearly see on ours where it's sufficient and where it is not.

You want a good 50mm overhang for cills and 150mm for eaves.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, canalsiderenovation said:

As long as it’s not freezing or frosting overnight Your render can go on any time of the year 

Any Aldi build ups can be sorted in minutes We use Algicide 6-1 dilution sprayed on Tge rain does the rest 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Was my thinking to.

What would you go for? There is cavity wall insulation on our existing but should we go for more? Will it make that much difference?

Obviously we will need to consider the overhang for cills and eaves as our windows have all been fitted and new roof etc etc.

What would you recommend?

41 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

What would you recommend?

You need to add the R-Values of all the wall components together, then take the inverse and see what it is.

How do you work out the R-value of a structure?

The R-value of a structure can be worked out by adding up the R-value of each individual component that offers a solid, consistent layer in the structure. Like this rudimentary ‘wall’ example below, the constituent parts come together to make the total R-value.

r-value-structure-calc.jpg

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Builder says he can get 75mm. Do you think that would be an improvement. Obviously it will need to go around our windows.

Anything to reduce our heating bills in winter has to be a bonus!

16148690056717659269932448710007.thumb.jpg.cded4fd8b2e0d702db5278060f9008d6.jpg

let me know your current build up of the structure and when I’m on computer tomorrow I’ll do a u value and moisture calculation.

assuming builder has said 75mm for window sills, normally with EWI if you aren’t moving the windows out you use under sills to extend them.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Builder says he can get 75mm. Do you think that would be an improvement. Obviously it will need to go around our windows.

Anything to reduce our heating bills in winter has to be a bonus!

16148690056717659269932448710007.thumb.jpg.cded4fd8b2e0d702db5278060f9008d6.jpg

You can insulate over the frames for improved  performance. Use sill extenders for greater depth and take the insulation right down to the foundations if you can. 

EPS gives the best bang for your buck with external insulation. 

• Thanks 1