Hi, any recommended 'eco' window fitters in South East England?

11thHour

Hi all,

Having read a lot of good stuff on this forum, I decided to sign up as we're doing a partial 'eco' refurb on our newly purchased 1960's detached 4 bed home in Brighton, East Sussex.

We're planning a few upgrades such as external wall insulation/render, insulating the (renewed) roof and floors properly, ASHP & wet underfloor heating, solar HW & PV and MVHR. Not to mention full re-wire and plumbing upgrade amongst other things. I was hoping to complete all this for around 100K but now thinking it's likely to be a lot more than that.

A big issue that has come up is the doors & windows. Most of them were replaced in 2016 but they're pretty poor quality white upvc double glazing. If we're to spend thousands on external wall insulation etc then I see no point in leaving big openings everywhere to lose substantial amounts of heat from. Replacing the windows later is not a great option as this will wreck the new render finish.

So, it seems logical to replace the 15 windows and 6 doors to the external facade with high spec 3G glazing, even though this will consume a huge chunk of our budget.

We're now getting quotes from the likes of Ecohaus (Internorm), Ecowin (Zyle Fenster & Gaulhofer), Passivlux (Rationel), Nordan, Nordvest, IdealCombi and also smaller local suppliers.

Does anyone know any good window installers to speak to that service the South Coast area? Any advice gratefully received.

If you can get the suppliers to arrange installation, that's usually the best way to go. That way, if there are any issues, there's no question about who's responsible.

That said, many people have had nightmares with supplier-provided installers. If you go this way, I'd push very hard to meet the team who'll be responsible for the installation, and to speak with previous customers who've had that team install their windows.

Thanks Jack, appreciate your thoughts.

The reason I asked about installers was that they should know the best details for fitting in refurbs and which manufacturers are the best for this. To be honest, I was following the advice of another member - @Alex C on the below post. "If I was doing it again I would firstly find a recommended installer and then approach a supplier. Ask around on the forum for good installers in your area who are able to problem solve  not cause problems. It seems any idiot can fit a window, but it takes another level of skill and knowledge to sort out on site issues that may arise."

Seemed like very good advice to me - especially coming from someone who has been through it already.

• 1 year later...
On 03/03/2021 at 22:32, 11thHour said:

Hi all,

Having read a lot of good stuff on this forum, I decided to sign up as we're doing a partial 'eco' refurb on our newly purchased 1960's detached 4 bed home in Brighton, East Sussex.

We're planning a few upgrades such as external wall insulation/render, insulating the (renewed) roof and floors properly, ASHP & wet underfloor heating, solar HW & PV and MVHR. Not to mention full re-wire and plumbing upgrade amongst other things. I was hoping to complete all this for around 100K but now thinking it's likely to be a lot more than that.

A big issue that has come up is the doors & windows. Most of them were replaced in 2016 but they're pretty poor quality white upvc double glazing. If we're to spend thousands on external wall insulation etc then I see no point in leaving big openings everywhere to lose substantial amounts of heat from. Replacing the windows later is not a great option as this will wreck the new render finish.

So, it seems logical to replace the 15 windows and 6 doors to the external facade with high spec 3G glazing, even though this will consume a huge chunk of our budget.

We're now getting quotes from the likes of Ecohaus (Internorm), Ecowin (Zyle Fenster & Gaulhofer), Passivlux (Rationel), Nordan, Nordvest, IdealCombi and also smaller local suppliers.

Does anyone know any good window installers to speak to that service the South Coast area? Any advice gratefully received.

May I ask if you managed to get any recommendations? I am looking for the same. Thanks

2 minutes ago, JulesFormosa said:

May I ask if you managed to get any recommendations? I am looking for the same. Thanks

I can recommend Norrsken. offices based in Poole where they have a good display of their windows. great quality and the fitters they used for our job (Elite Installations Nationwide (https://www.eliteinstalls.co.uk/contact) were excellent. based in Leeds but they travelled down and stayed locally for the duration of the job. 

obviously, I can't comment on any of the other fitting teams that Norrsken use but if they're anything like Jim @ Elite then you'll be on to a winner. 🙂 

24 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

I can recommend Norrsken. offices based in Poole where they have a good display of their windows. great quality and the fitters they used for our job (Elite Installations Nationwide (https://www.eliteinstalls.co.uk/contact) were excellent. based in Leeds but they travelled down and stayed locally for the duration of the job. 

obviously, I can't comment on any of the other fitting teams that Norrsken use but if they're anything like Jim @ Elite then you'll be on to a winner. 🙂 

May I ask, did you use their Timber Aluclad or All Timber windows?