I've had a bit of a nightmare in the last few weeks. 

Thedreamer

It started with an unexpected receipt of a neighbour planning notification for a couple of holiday pods and a laundry shed close to our boundary. The proposed application would be in a raised position towards the back of the house/garden. 

After a while we started to jot down our objections and after a week of picking it up and down we submitted our comments to the planning department.

Today we have received notification that our neighbour is withdrawing the application.

It's unclear whether this will come back in a different location but it should not impact our privacy or amenity.

I appreciate that most of the discussions on here is for obtaining planning permission approval, but when objections exist there are two sides to every coin.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thedreamer said:

I appreciate that most of the discussions on here is for obtaining planning permission approval, but when objections exist there are two sides to every coin.

Offer to buy their place, or at least the land that they want to develop.

Then you have control over it.

2 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Offer to buy their place, or at least the land that they want to develop.

Then you have control over it.

It's more complicated as it not a single site, but part of the next croft along, so he is able to position them elsewhere. 

This was really the only area that our house could be overlooked, as we control the other three sides, the bit of land where the application was submitted is in the corner behind our house on a crop of bedrock so did not expect any development, as it would require a bit of rock breaking, so was a total surprise.

2 minutes ago, Thedreamer said:

This was really the only area that our house could be overlooked, as we control the other three sides, the bit of land where the application was submitted is in the corner behind our house on a crop of bedrock so did not expect any development, as it would require a bit of rock breaking, so was a total surprise

Do you think he may be after your place at a knocked down price?

Just now, SteamyTea said:

Do you think he may be after your place at a knocked down price?

No, it's not like that here. The croft is family land, so will be passed through the generations like a good quality watch. I think he just had a cheeky architect and wanted to see what he could get away with.

12 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Just be VERY careful you don't miss any re application, or ammended application, don't assume it will have the same planning application number.

Yes will be watching like a hawk.

I just wish he came and spoke to us, we are not on bad terms.

Or was he just testing the local reaction?

I would go and have a chat and say look old chap, site it somewhere where it cannot be seen or heard from our house, and I will raise no objection.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Or was he just testing the local reaction?

I would go and have a chat and say look old chap, site it somewhere where it cannot be seen or heard from our house, and I will raise no objection.

I think one of the issues was that he wanted them placed where it cannot be seen or heard from his house!

5 hours ago, Thedreamer said:

Indeed. Our neighbours and some absentee land owners did a deal with a wind farm company that wanted to put up seven 120m turbines. Was a crazy scheme right between two conservation areas. In the end even one of the land owners wrote to object. He promptly  had to withdraw his objection when the wind co pointed out he'd agreed not to. The things the developer got upto during the planning process beggars belief. We learnt a lot about the planning process.

Edited by Temp

3 hours ago, Temp said:

Indeed. Our neighbours and some absentee land owners did a deal with a wind farm company that wanted to put up seven 120m turbines. Was a crazy scheme right between two conservation areas. In the end even one of the land owners wrote to object. He promptly  had to withdraw his objection when the wind co pointed out he'd agreed not to. The things the developer got upto during the planning process beggars belief. We learnt a lot about the planning process.

Oh yes.

It's sharp if you play games with big-boys.

When we were negotiating with housing developers on a land sale, one tried to have a clause making us responsible for costs if their project failed.