Painting timber windows for new build

MortarThePoint

We've specified flush casement timber windows and are pulling our hair out. I think normally we'd be touring various companies and looking at their options and buying with the confidence of having seen the windows. Covid19 makes that difficult. We've ended up with suppliers that seem to fit in to two categories, those that compete by having a good product at a good price and those that have a good product with a high price but a major sales and support offering. The price difference seems to be around £26k vs >£40k.

One of the companies we are most drawn to has a really nice looking product, but they don't supply them paint finished, only supply them primer coated, treated or bare. Has anyone had a go at painting just primered windows? I can see the exterior surface and interior surface may be easy enough, but painting in with the mechanism seems like a nightmare. There would be a lot of painting to get done.

The pre painted always come at a premium as they are sprayed in a workshop Then glazed

You won’t get that factory finish painting them yourself and it won’t be as long lasting 

Ours was specified sash paint finish (33 frames) I’d to argue with planners and Heritage for week to be allowed to use Upvc wood grain finish 

Most walking past think the frames are timber 

One of the £26k quotes is for fully painted, but not so keen on their design unfortunately and 8 weeks is a long time to wait to check a sample is OK as they don't have an example of the flush casement design we are after.

Edited by MortarThePoint

22 hours ago, MortarThePoint said:

they don't supply them paint finished, only supply them primer coated, treated or bare.

You're being left to paint and seal the windows, so if at a later date something happens to the window and the frame starts growing fungus for example (it happens more than you think). You'll have no warranty. Your back pocket will be stung for the replacements. Factory finished - they are then responsible for the product and if they install as well, the complete package.

Don't buy a product that is putting these issues on your doorstep.

Factory finished will have an initial warranty period, with the upkeep of the window (i.e. painting) of it recommended every x years. 

27 minutes ago, craig said:

Your being left to paint and seal the windows, so if at a later date something happens to the window and the frame starts growing fungus for example (it happens more than you think). You'll have no warranty. Your back pocket will be stung for the replacements. Factory finished - they are then responsible for the product and if they install as well, the complete package.

Don't buy a product that is putting these issues on your doorstep.

Factory finished will have an initial warranty period, with the upkeep of the window (i.e. painting) of it recommended every x years. 

Thanks Craig, can you recommend any suppliers?