SE and AE won't supply DWG :-(

BotusBuild

My Architectural Engineer and Structural Engineer have both only supplied PDF drawings, and have stated they will not provide editable (.DWG) files that I can use to extract measurements from in order advise suppliers. The former claims it would invalidate his insurance. Should I be relying on the figure in the PDF's?

Am I making an unusual request? Has anyone else been able to get such files from their professions? Is my eye for detail not suited to the building trade and should I be relying on measurements taken on the ground (which I can understand when it comes to ordering things that go in holes like windows and doors, but they're not on (or in ) the ground ? )?

On our project, the only people to provide dwg where the company who did the topographical survey and architectural technician who I specifically asked to provide dwgs (as he did the existing site drawings).

I think they're mostly worried you'll steal their drawings and use them for other purposes, or that you might unintentionally change something and cock up the drawing leading to a build problem. However, if you really want dwg files, you can import pdfs created by cad software back into a cad programme and go from there.

It's also sensible not to fully rely on drawing dimensions as many of the larger general arrangement drawings can be 1:50. Many suppliers won't accept drawing dimensions other than for quotation purposes and insist on as built dimensions for production. In my case, I can tell you that with this project, if I had gone with drawing dimensions, both my steel frame and glulam beams would have been wrong.The steel columns wouldn't have been high enough and glulam beams would'nt have reached the end walls of the house. That's some professionals for you....

Edited by SimonD
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If they originally created the drawings for building control approval they may not be accurate enough to use for construction. For example Building Control may want to know the total area of glazing for heat loss calculations but they don't need the drawings to show the exact position of a window. So the position on the BC drawing may not be a multiple of a half brick as you might on a construction drawing. Perhaps that's not the best example.

It is never good practice to scale from a drawing. You should always use the dimensions on the drawing and if any are missing ask for them to be added. This would apply to a .pdf or .dwg.

• Like 1

What's an "Architectural Engineer"? New one on me that.

Anyway - in the good old days, would you have asked your professional for their paper, pencil and drawing board?

The pdf/paper drawings are the output of the design process and should have all the information needed for their stated purpose, if you need setting out drawings or more dimensions, ask the professional to give you them.

When I draw details for example, they will be slightly out from the dimensions marked on the drawings so that membranes etc can be properly read on the drawing and the drawing is clear to communicate how to put the detail together rather than be dimensionally accurate - hence the notes "do not scale from this drawing"

2 hours ago, the_r_sole said:

hence the notes "do not scale from this drawing"

the irony of this is that if you then need to submit drawings to planning, for example, they'll be rejected with this note, but notes to the effect of scaling from 'figured dimensions' is okay.

1 minute ago, SimonD said:

the irony of this is that if you then need to submit drawings to planning, for example, they'll be rejected with this note, but notes to the effect of scaling from 'figured dimensions' is okay.

Not any more, they've changed their validation requirements on having that note on (although some local authorities need an argument to accept it!)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

Not any more, they've changed their validation requirements on having that note on (although some local authorities need an argument to accept it!)

That's good to know!

Edit, ours were rejected for this and I've just looked on our regional requirements which still contain this, even with the latest guidance dated 2017. Has there been more recent change?

Edited by SimonD

45 minutes ago, SimonD said:

That's good to know!

Edit, ours were rejected for this and I've just looked on our regional requirements which still contain this, even with the latest guidance dated 2017. Has there been more recent change?

Yeah, maybe not adopted everywhere, I just noticed a while back they stopped asking for that note to be removed or changed on our applications, or if they did be resistant to removing it! 

I'm at the absolute end of my tether with planning departments at the moment so maybe they've stopped poking me ?

On 03/03/2021 at 15:58, the_r_sole said:

Yeah, maybe not adopted everywhere, I just noticed a while back they stopped asking for that note to be removed or changed on our applications, or if they did be resistant to removing it! 

I'm at the absolute end of my tether with planning departments at the moment so maybe they've stopped poking me ?

Haha, hopefully they've decided to give you a break! ?

• 4 weeks later...

LPA’s do vary on their ‘Do not scale...’ policy. One of my LPA’s state...

“All plans must be given a drawing reference number and ‘do not scale’ disclaimers need to be removed from all plans.”

I get around this by having the following note...

”Do not scale from this drawing, except for Planning purposes.”

• Like 1