Gloves to prevent finger amputation.

epsilonGreedy

Last year there was a gruesome photo thread depicting selfbuild injuries, the worst accidents shown involved an angle grinder.

Over the next few weeks I will be using a 4" angle grinder for hours. Charlie diyte recommends these Stanley gloves https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BI3YTCC?ref=exp_charliediyte_dp_vv_d in his favourite tools Amazon shop https://www.amazon.co.uk/shop/charliediyte?listId=28S4TZ36YIYMU

My only concern is that they are so thick I might not be able to control the grinder so well. Is there a more hi-tech alternative that will prevent a cutting blade slicing into my hand?

There is a 100% sure fire method to not cut a finger off. 

Fit the grinder with the side mounted handle. 

One hand on the trigger one on the side handle, so two hands both in use out of the way. 

The thing that stops you cutting your self is focus and having your mind on the job. 

Thinking of bacon sandwiches or that bird that just walked past is likely to end up with a didget missing. 

• Like 4

I don't think split leather gloves would do much if you really messed up. You may be better off looking for some cut resistance Kevlar assembly gloves with a cut level 5 rating. They are fairly flexible and come with some rubber grips so handling is ok.

2 hours ago, Jilly said:

Would chainmail butchers gloves do it? 

They'd be good at reducing the chance of injury. Not certain to, but .....

It was my finger referred to in the OP above. I could be thought to be cavalier where digits are concerned - got eight left of which 6 work.

But this the key

3 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

The thing that stops you cutting your self is focus and having your mind on the job

I'd add - try not to use an angle grinder when tired.  

Someone posted a little while ago about that little voice in your head that suddenly realises you're doing something risky, followed by another voice that tells you to just finish up the thing you're doing because it'll probably be fine. You'd probably reduce accidents by half if you could get people to listen to the first voice and ignore the second.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, jack said:

Someone posted a little while ago about that little voice in your head that suddenly realises you're doing something risky, followed by another voice that tells you to just finish up the thing you're doing because it'll probably be fine. You'd probably reduce accidents by half if you could get people to listen to the first voice and ignore the second.

Also, and you’ll have to take my word for this as I don’t have the link, I’m pretty sure age is a factor likely due to the reducing limits on concentration and tiredness.

And the OP is not as young as some of us ?

I don't doubt age is a factor. There's probably a safety bell curve, with low safety when you're young and inexperienced, and falling safety again later in life as your strength falls and your senses become less acute. 

7 minutes ago, jack said:

I don't doubt age is a factor. There's probably a safety bell curve, with low safety when you're young and inexperienced, and falling safety again later in life as your strength falls and your senses become less acute. 

Or you're married and spend your time praying for Death or 6 numbers!