Are my slate vents installed upside down?

AndyMT

Hi Guys. Need your advice. Some time after putting on new roof I noticed that the walls were damp and it looked like it was in line with the slate vent. See pictures attached. The design and installation of the slate vents make no sense to me. Does anyone recognise the make. I think the water is running under the dome, over the lip and then down the celotex to the walls.

In reality they are not required because there is membrane and sarking underneath but they were on the architects plan. Appreciate your input. Thanks

20210303_094019.png

20201215_125101.jpg

Thanks Jack - good spot - that is it.

I have looked at installation instructions and yes they are oriented the right way. But this makes little sense to me why have that lower compartment and lip. When the slates are butted up close to the top lip, the gap fills up with debris and water can run straight in. I have cut back the slates with a grinder to make a channel and also used silicone to seal cap to slate but don't know how long it will last.

Anyone else used this piece of crap?

I have 32 of them so quite a big job to replace and unless I can use a hook/tingle then virtually a reslate. I will email their technical people to see what they were thinking.  Since I have membrane and sarking I don't really need them, so I could just fill with foam.

• Like 1