Roof slate options

Dan1983

Evening all,

Our new build starts in April but still have a few items to sort.

My plan for the slate was SEGA 32 but builder coming back saying they are expensive at £5 a slate!

They have suggested the 112 which is much more reasonable at £1.80 per slate.

The 112 is a smooth slate which I don’t like.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Looking for a textured finish to give a weathered look etc.

Finding it difficult to get answers from suppliers and prices (due to covid I expect.)

many thanks for any pointers

Thanks for reply.

Seems a nightmare trying to get info and pricing on things at the moment even though merchants are still open etc.

Are there any other slate makers other than SIGA that I should be looking at? 

Ideally something that lays fairly flat with textured finish 

Edited by Dan1983

Speak to SSQ.  I requested some samples on their website, and they made contact with me, helped with product choices, number of slates required, and pricing advice.  Looks like we will go with Riverstone.

May I just ask how folks chose the size of slates to go for once a brand, colour and texture had been chosen? I’ve just started looking at slates and there are so many choices and sizes I don’t know where to start (I am about to read the roofing sub-forum though, so I guess I do know where to start!) ?‍♂️

I asked my BCO about lap. We discussed the local area weather and how sheltered the site was and settled on a number.

I selected 600x300 slates because it meant fewer battens and fewer slates to nail so was cost neutral over the 500x250 slates. The roof is big enough to look right with larger slates.

• Like 1