Combi boiler or UVC

RichS

Can't decide what would be the better system to install.

There is generally just me and the wife at home nowadays, we both shower on a morning and evening.We both hope to be packing in work once the new build is sorted / finances allow so will be home most of the time.

We have lived with a combi-boiler for about the last 30 years, not the same one :), but are not really impressed with either the flow rates available nor the temperature of the water, and the current boiler is a decent sized thing.

So my query is "which system to go for". I'm sure there are pro's and cons for each but what is the experience of the forum on this question.

Our initial experience with a combi wasn't good; it was at a holiday let and the flow rate wasn't great.  By complete contrast, the Vaillant combi we have now at our "old" house delivers masses of hot water, and easily runs a decent shower at a temperature higher than I feel comfortable with, if need be.  I have a feeling that the DHW performance of combi boilers has been gradually improving over the years, so the newer models are now pretty good.  They are also a heck of a lot more efficient - we saved a fair chunk from our gas bill when we had the new one installed a few years ago, as a replacement for an old gas system boiler.

Both of us are "morning shower people" and we very rarely have a bath.  There's just the two of us, and if there had been mains gas where our new house is I'd have just fitted another combi without a thought, if only because a decent sized UVC takes up so much space.

Edited by JSHarris
typo, "by" when I meant "be"

Your absolutely ideal candidates for a good combi. Instant, constant hot water on demand, and no standing losses. Also, only an annual gas safety inspection and service required, whereas you'd need a G3 annual inspection on top of that too if you go for a cylinder. 

The only reason I'd say go for an UVC is if you intend having solar PV, as DHW can be reinforced with 'free' energy ut only with a means to store it, such as a hot water tank etc. 

Vaillant are my weapon of choice, but, and it pains me to say this, Worcester Bosch are making a very good combi nowadays and aren't over charging for the privilege any more, it seems. 

NOTE : WB are now offering up to a 10 year GUARANTEE ( not warranty ). Basically if you use a WB accredited installer, one of their 'select' boilers, fit their Wave controls and their magnetic filter, they guarantee that you won't pay for a repair for the next 10 years, pretty much regardless of cause or circumstance. That is of course subject to you having an accredited WB service agent do each annual service without fail, and on time. Failure to so so ONCE will invalidate the cover. 

If I had to choose, I'd go Vaillant. One feature being a dot matrix display which tells you what's wrong with it in the event of a failure. :)

Thanks Jeremy and Nick, much appreciated, and even better that there was no conflict in the reply's :D

The good news also is it makes installation a whole lot less painful.

Is there any one Vaillant combi that stands out from the rest??

• 1 month later...
On 13 February 2017 at 18:46, RichS said:

Thanks Jeremy and Nick, much appreciated, and even better that there was no conflict in the reply's :D

The good news also is it makes installation a whole lot less painful.

Is there any one Vaillant combi that stands out from the rest??

Sorry, I've overlooked this :(

Vaillant are pretty much consistent across the range, so it's purely down to sizing. 

A 24kw will get you a single shower room and heating a plenty. For a bath, you need a 28kw, but no more. You can go up from there but only if it's justified, all the way to the whopping 938 heatstore combi. 

Thanks Nick, wondered how people did that

On 26/03/2017 at 21:50, Nickfromwales said:

A tip for the future ;). If you want to notify someone that you've responded to a thread, just type their username in by typing @ then typing the first letter of their username. Like this @RichS ?

Thanks Nick, wondered how people did that :D

44 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Another 40 posts and you get keys to the BH executive bathroom ;)

A lab I worked in for years had a small model shop, essentially half a dozen really good craftsmen (all toolmakers) with a workshop full of every tool imaginable.  The workshop manager was a jumped-up little prat, who insisted that "staff" were not to use the "workers" toilets, but had to go to his office to collect the key to the "staff toilet".  Needless to say this toilet had been called the "Executive Suite" for years.