Manifold Noise

simon45089

Hello, I am at the stage on my Barn Conversion project where I am about to install the underfloor heating pipework which will cover 120 Square metres of the ground floor.

I have been advised to use two separate manifolds to cover the different zones required. I have chosen the best locations for the manifolds in terms of distance to their relevant zones, one being in  Utility/plant room, along with the boiler and cylinder, but the second being in a dedicated kitchen cupboard. I would like advice re whether this will be suitable as I am unsure if there is likely to be any noise from the Manifold as it does its thing. I do not want a noisy manifold in the kitchen area my bedroom is above the kitchen, and living area is next to it, with an open plan aspect. I am likely heating via oil boiler so am aware there will be a necessary heat reduction of the water to get the correct temp for the UFH. 

Sorry for the waffle, are manifolds noisy ?

Many thanks,

Simon.

I don't have underfloor heating, but do use a manifold for my radiators, there is a tiny tiny sound comes from it when in use, just the water moving through it, but I think you would have to listen for it to be able to hear it. Mine is situated in the hallway and is approx 2m from my head where I sleep, and i don't hear a thing.

The most noisy thing on a manifold is the circulating pump.

I bought my UFH manifolds cheap on ebay and they came with cheap "no name" circulating pumps.  They were noisy and made a sort of whining / droning noise that reverberated through the pipework.

I solved it by replacing the pumps with the small Wilo pumps which are virtually silent.  Wilo is now my favourite choice of circulating pump.

One of the manifolds is in a cupboard in our en-suite bathroom and with the Wilo pump is inaudible.

So the message is make sure your manifolds have a Wilo or Grundfoss circulating pump. any other make could well be noisy.