Coastal Hedging / Privacy

Hi Folks,

One the better 'issues' to have, picking a hedge!

We are close (within half a mile) of the coast and can get some quite bad wind gusts/rains etc - all that comes with being coastal! I wanted to ask what hedging would be recommended living in a coastal location? Has anyone had experience with this?

Our main reason for hedging is to create a privacy barrier down one side of our property, approximately 100 metres of hedging. The initial thoughts were the usual leylandii however upon further research we have been told this can suffer from severe wind burn and even die off - this would be a disaster given the length (and cost) of the hedge!

We have been considering privet hedging? Has anyone used this?

We are mainly looking for a quick growing hedge that can grow rather tall (6 feet plus?) but be able to withstand winds - also evergreen is an added bonus.

I dont pretend to have green fingers so I know nothing about this kind of thing, any help would be great!

A mixture can be good.  Evergreeens like Eleagnus x ebbingei Gilt Edge, Viburnum tinus mixed with some deciduous like hornbeam and beech.  You can get mixed native hedging bare rooted and although it takes 3 years to establish it is v. cheap, looks great and good for wildlife.

42 minutes ago, soapstar said:

We are mainly looking for a quick growing hedge that can grow rather tall (6 feet plus?) but be able to withstand winds - also evergreen is an added bonus.

We are a couple of miles from the sea and we have different types of hedging around the garden. We bought a pallet of Oleaster, one metre high, a couple of years ago and they took well and are easy to trim. They are evergreen and have small very fragrant flowers that the bees like and later berries for the birds.

https://www.hedgesdirect.co.uk/acatalog/oleaster-elaeagnus-x-ebbingei.html#aELA

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies - It sounds like the Oleaster or Eleagnus x ebbingei as @Mr Punter (which is the same i think?) mentioned is something to look into.

@SteamyTea Gorse is certainly an option and is everywhere in our area, however its so common in our parts it would be great to have something different, although it must grow here for a reason!

No experience on privet hedging?

I live on the coast and have to be careful with plants due to the extremely windy days we get here. Laurel is a no go. Privet grows ok but it doesn’t seem to want to grow upwards much. It mostly seems to spread outwards. 

Ceanothus grows like a weed here and could make a good hedge, and Griselinia, a plant that I’d never heard of but was recommended on here also grows well. 

I have several conifers (smaller than leylandii) but none of them have ended up with issues. 

• Like 1

Potentially Myrtle.

Grown by my Gran on the Beach Road in Prestatyn.

Or look for shiny or narrow leaves which will let less nasty in.

What about Holly?

Or Holm Oak is a good one which is hedgable.

Or maybe things like Cotoneaster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newhome said:

I live on the coast and have to be careful with plants due to the extremely windy days we get here. Laurel is a no go. Privet grows ok but it doesn’t seem to want to grow upwards much. It mostly seems to spread outwards. 

Ceanothus grows like a weed here and could make a good hedge, and Griselinia, a plant that I’d never heard of but was recommended on here also grows well. 

I have several conifers (smaller than leylandii) but none of them have ended up with issues. 

@newhome thanks that's interesting regarding privet

Griselinia seems to be a popular choice, although more expensive than the typical conifer types you mention. We may have to bite the bullet and try conifers and hope we dont get any wind burn!

@Ferdinand Cotoneaster is interesting, seem to be recommended for the scottish climate although they are only semi evergreen unfortunately. And Holm Oak and Myrtle dont like Scotland apparently!

https://www.hopesgrovenurseries.co.uk/shop/choosing-the-right-hedge/plants-for-coastal-areas/

Plants for Coastal Areas

You are here: Home » Choosing the Right Hedge » Plants for Coastal Areas

Here we have all of the hedging species suitable for gardens close to or at the coast. All of these species will succeed in the windy salt-spray conditions and we have a selection of deciduous and evergreen species for your seaside plot.

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

Cotoneaster

There was an article somewhere that it can devour roadside pollutants.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/science/articles/super-cotoneaster

But worth a warning that the original NASA report about plants cleaning air was pretty limited in scope, with ambiguous results.

But still quoted 32 years later as gospel by some.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_Clean_Air_Study

4 hours ago, soapstar said:

I wanted to ask what hedging would be recommended living in a coastal location?

Go for a walk. With permission, and at the right time of year, take cuttings from hedges that seem to be growing well. Gardners are generous folk.

I've just finished planting 600 or so trees as informal boundary / shelter belt. Coastal / windswept but have gone with varieties that I know grow here (having planted some last year and seeing what grows around. 

Soil here very poor and a lot of clay.

The bulk are Alder, Hawthorne, Hazel and Willow (local variety). Also some Downy Birch, Wild Rose (Rosa Alba, Rugosa), and a handful of others such as Bird Cherry, Crab Apple and Elderberry

I live on the west coast of Scotland close enough to the sea to get severe wind and salt spray at least once a year, I have been in this location for about 10 years. A few things that grow well for me are.

New Zealand daisy bush - fantastic plant with great leaves and wonderful flowers - also evergreen so great for screening -easy to grow from cuttings

willow - quick growing and interesting foliage - easy to grow from cuttings 

hawthorn - grown great and has nice berries - easy to grow from cuttings 

Griselinia - hardy type - grows well and evergreen - easy to grow from cuttings 

hardy fuchsia - grows quick and looks fantastic with its flowers - easy to grow from cuttings 

I will try and have a look tomorrow to remind myself what I have..... can’t think at the moment as I am juggling kids.....