Existing loft room to bedroom - height?

Hi there, I’m after a bit of advice re. Loft conversions.

We bought our house about five years ago (it was built in around 1900), the loft has been converted into an office and has a full staircase accessed through a door off the master bedroom.

The seller had out an indemnity policy in place presumably because the loft didn’t have a building regs certificate. Although I am told the conversion was done over twenty years ago (but I have no evidence of the actual date).

We were happy with this at the time as only intended to use the loft for storage/ as an office.

However, we now have two children and love our home and the area we live - it is impossible to find a three bedroom house for sale in our village so we now want to convert the attic into a proper room for my toddler daughter.

I want to meet the regs for a bedroom with new insulation, new windows, ensuring the floor is up to the right standard to support the weight etc, moving the entry point from our bedroom to create separate access.

BUT the headroom is an issue, I have read there needs to be 2.3m but we have nowhere near that, it’s actually about 1.6 from existing floor to top of the arch.

Lowering the ceiling/raising the roof is not an option financially at the moment so I guess my questions are: 

1. If I got everything else up to the correct standard so I know it is safe etc for my daughter, can I use this is a bedroom but just call it a “loft room” or whatever when we come to sell
  2. Would reputable builders / loft conversion companies carry out this work without building regs being met 
  3. How are building regs assessed for refurbs of old conversions - do I even need to go down this route?

Any thoughts on the situation welcome, please be kind and understand I have little knowledge on this, nor am i trying to cut corners - I’m trying to make the room safe, habitable and meet the regulations, I just need to understand the restrictions on head height.

Thanks you so much for your time

Headroom above a staircase including the "landing" has to be 2 metres.  What do you mean by 1.6 M to "top of the arch"?

You don't want a child's bedroom that you can only access by passing through your bedroom do you?  So you would be looking at a major makeover including moving the stairs.

• 3 weeks later...