Sign in to follow this  
Toppers

Composite Decking

Recommended Posts

On 16/03/2021 at 12:54, Toppers said:

My decking will be raised off the floor around 250mm, I did ideally want a composite sub-frame as well but these seem to need to be laid directly onto a solid surface, are there any other compatible sub-frames I could use?

 

My other consideration is timber finished on the top edge with a waterproof tape.

 

What size timber would be best for the joists?

I’ve seen aluminium joists but unsure of how to adequately frame it. Probably going to stick to timber with lashings of blackjack bitumen paint for a ground level deck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just had 45sq m of generic composite decking delivered £40/m2 including fixing clips. 
 

Planned the deck size around multiples/fractions of the 3.6m board lengths. Joints will be fine if joists are doubled up so lots of planning to minimise  extra work. Still no tidy edge feature. The proper bullnose board seems out of stock everywhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/03/2021 at 10:25, daiking said:

Just had 45sq m of generic composite decking delivered £40/m2 including fixing clips. 
 

Planned the deck size around multiples/fractions of the 3.6m board lengths. Joints will be fine if joists are doubled up so lots of planning to minimise  extra work. Still no tidy edge feature. The proper bullnose board seems out of stock everywhere. 

 

I'm using Eva-Last decking, they sell a board that's grooved on only one edge to use round the perimeter, the other boards are fixed with clips but I'm not sure how you fix the last board as yet 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Toppers said:

 

I'm using Eva-Last decking, they sell a board that's grooved on only one edge to use round the perimeter, the other boards are fixed with clips but I'm not sure how you fix the last board as yet 🙂

The ones I’ve seen like that have a hidden slot and a particular hidden edge fixing. 
 

At the moment I’m more concerned that I think I need 60 off 3.6m 6x2s which is £1050 🤯 from my new preferred merchant. 
 

can I use 4x2s? 😂

Edited by daiking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, daiking said:

The ones I’ve seen like that have a hidden slot and a particular hidden edge fixing. 
 

At the moment I’m more concerned that I think I need 60 off 3.6m 6x2s which is £1050 🤯 from my new preferred merchant. 
 

can I use 4x2s? 😂

 

I think 4 x 2's would be fine to be honest, I'm going for 400mm centres and i'll put some extra support in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What joist centres have people used? I’ve seen 300mm recommended for some boards but obvs 400mm would be easier - although 450mm would have been ideal for my overall sizing but that’s too far for this generic hollow decking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/03/2021 at 23:06, daiking said:

What joist centres have people used? I’ve seen 300mm recommended for some boards but obvs 400mm would be easier - although 450mm would have been ideal for my overall sizing but that’s too far for this generic hollow decking

 

I've gone 400mm centres and put some cross bracing noggins in and it seems fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Toppers said:

 

I've gone 400mm centres and put some cross bracing noggins in and it seems fine.

 

Thanks. My neighbour with the same decking as me has done 400 centres.

 

I still thinking of the easiest way to make my structure and what to support on. I have little height to play with so more digging it looks like 😬

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, daiking said:

 

Thanks. My neighbour with the same decking as me has done 400 centres.

 

I still thinking of the easiest way to make my structure and what to support on. I have little height to play with so more digging it looks like 😬

 

 

Mine is about 250mm off the ground, I concreted some posts in at the front edge to carry it then I've fixed it to the house with masonry bolts, I've also put some legs down to the ground here and there, it's solid as a rock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this