Sub-base for temporary hardstanding or....

Thorfun

afternoon all and a happy sunny Sunday to everyone. I hope you're all having a lovely day.

my latest dilemma/decision is to do with our temporary hardstanding for the construction traffic during our build. I am currently digging it out to the depth that will eventually be required for our driveway and need to decide whether to simply put down some temporary hardcore for the build and then remove it all and then put down the Type 3, the open surface tarmac to go on top which will be finished off with the resin bond that we've decided on.

here's the plan for our driveway and you can see that there is a RWH tank, diffuser tanks and plenty of pipework to eventually go underneath the driveway so anything I put down will need to be dug in to at a later date to install all of that.

1261315496_Screenshot2021-02-28at15_32_21.thumb.png.a6739bc62ba23324801df274615c37ca.png

as such it would seem that just putting down some crushed concrete to create a temporary hardstanding would be the best route but it also seems like it's simply throwing money away as it will need to be bought and delivered just to be dug up and taken away afterwards at another expense. But then if I pay for MOT 3 now will that get ruined during the build and by digging in to it for the pipes and tanks?

any suggestions about what to do or what would you do in this situation? or any other options I might not have thought of?

4 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Some decent 6f2 or clean 50mm is what you want can be left down then. Geotextile too non woven. 

And that’s permeable and suitable for a SUDS compliant driveway? And I assume the open surface tarmac can just go on top of it to finish off the sub-base for the resin bound surface?

4 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

my choice would be planings if you can get them or recycles hardcore, it will get muntered during the build anyway with telehanders, conc wgeons etc so just make it useable (200mm) and sort after.

And by sort after do you mean remove it and put the type 3 down for the sub-base to the finished driveway?

if so, that’s definitely one of the options I’m thinking of but I can’t shake the feeling it’s just throwing money away! But I guess I can get over that eventually if I go that route. 

Edited by Thorfun
Typo

1 minute ago, Dave Jones said:

you have a civil engineer, what you asking us for then !

The CE gave us the finished driveway make-up (albeit for a permeable block packing finish) but I’m interested about whether, if in my situation, you’d choose to throw money away on a temporary sub-base or put down the actual sub-base and deal with any damage done during the build. 

1 hour ago, Thorfun said:

And that’s permeable and suitable for a SUDS compliant driveway? And I assume the open surface tarmac can just go on top of it to finish off the sub-base for the resin bound surface?

Depends how good it is. We have a yard here can literally get super clean like 35-70mm crushed concrete. I don't think you'd be able to tarmac straight ontop probably need a 2-4" layer of smaller clean stone but you'd do that when the build is finished. I wouldn't worry too much about it clogging up to the point of non permeable. A type1 would do but not a product without fines. It's not going to be any less permable than the ground below any way. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Oz07 said:

Depends how good it is. We have a yard here can literally get super clean like 35-70mm crushed concrete. I don't think you'd be able to tarmac straight ontop probably need a 2-4" layer of smaller clean stone but you'd do that when the build is finished. I wouldn't worry too much about it clogging up to the point of non permeable. A type1 would do but not a product without fines. It's not going to be any less permable than the ground below any way. 

Cheers. I’ll look in to it. ?

On 28/02/2021 at 17:27, Oz07 said:

@Oz07 just a follow up question to this please, and this is probably the question I should've asked in the first place!

if I put the 6F2/6F5 (or even Type 3) down as a base layer all nicely compacted, is it ok to then dig channels in it to run pipework and then fill it in again and still get the same compaction levels as before digging the trench in it?

On 03/03/2021 at 15:30, Thorfun said:

if I put the 6F2/6F5 (or even Type 3) down as a base layer all nicely compacted, is it ok to then dig channels in it to run pipework and then fill it in again and still get the same compaction levels as before digging the trench in it?

is anyone able to assist here and let me know if this is ok to do? otherwise I'll just make an assumption that it's fine and deal with the consequences at a later date! ?

A lot of the pipework is quite deep and there is lots covering that area as well as a load of chambers, pump station, chambers and tanks.  If you install this after building the house, the whole area will get completely trashed.

At best, if you have fair thickness of material for the hardstanding you may be able to scrape it off and stockpile it before you dig the trenches etc.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

A lot of the pipework is quite deep and there is lots covering that area as well as a load of chambers, pump station, chambers and tanks.  If you install this after building the house, the whole area will get completely trashed.

At best, if you have fair thickness of material for the hardstanding you may be able to scrape it off and stockpile it before you dig the trenches etc.

thanks. so, I think that works for me. I can lay the sub-base and then scrape it off and store it, dig the trenches and then reapply. it is a lot of sub-base but it means that I won't have to throw anything away and all it costs me is time to scrape off and put back. I think I'm ok with that!

I want to have a hardstanding for the build so this seems like my best option.

• Like 1

Well you will need the digger for the trenches and backfill anyway.  If you scrape off the topsoil nice and level lay some terram then get the stone / crushed in you will probably be able to save some if you have the space to stockpile.

Just now, Mr Punter said:

Well you will need the digger for the trenches and backfill anyway.  If you scrape off the topsoil nice and level lay some terram then get the stone / crushed in you will probably be able to save some if you have the space to stockpile.

yeah. makes sense. what's the worst that can happen? :ph34r:

• 4 weeks later...

hi all. I'm almost halfway finished the sub-base and I've just had a crazy idea. I was initially going to put a layer of crushed concrete or the like on top of the sub-base as a 'sacrificial' layer to protect the sub-base during the build. but I have loads of old paving slabs lying around from an old patio. could I just lay these on top of the sub-base to protect it or will they move about and be a bit rubbish?