Utility costs ?

14 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

impossible to know. You will have to ask them for quotes. could be £100 could be £25000 .

It really is. If you're lucky it's a simple extension from the supply that next door connects to. If you can co-ordinate road works etc then the cost can be minimised - may still be substantial though.

Worst case, if next door is on a spur from a distant main or the line they are on is at capacity, you can be faced with a very large bill.

As @Dave Jones says, call / write to them now and start getting quotes. Always ask what is 'contestable' as you can get others to do that work for you vs their subcontractors and it may be cheaper. Usually related to digging, ducting and making good. Any crossing of highways will require permits and approved contractors to do the road finish. 

We were charged £3914 for electricity 4 years ago.

This week, my neighbour has been quoted £13K for the same specification connection by the same supplier.  All they need to do is mole under the single lane road and make a normal single phase connection .  Just under 300% rise in four years. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

We were charged £3914 for electricity 4 years ago.

This week, my neighbour has been quoted £13K for the same specification connection by the same supplier.  All they need to do is mole under the single lane road and make a normal single phase connection .  Just under 300% rise in four years. 

If the works are Contestable  they may be undertaken by a suitably accredited Independent Connections Provider (ICP). Contestable works include the installation of cables, substations and other plant associated with the new connection.

14 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

oh and all new build sites now have to have a 3-phase supply installed, even if you only want a single phase meter, more £££££

I wanted 3 phase but couldn’t get it for my new build. 

Water and electric around 2-2.5k each including road crossings.

16 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

oh and all new build sites now have to have a 3-phase supply installed, even if you only want a single phase meter, more £££££

"All"?  Since when please, with proof.

That's interesting. My recent updated quote is double what it was this time last year and now has '3x95mm WF to service joint' from pole to just beside house, then  '1x35mm' from this service joint to meter box. Last year the quote was all '1x35mm'. 

I'm not expert enough to be sure, but that sounds a bit like they want to run 3 phase right up to my house? I must enquire to confirm.

Just had quote for Electric from UK power Networks £1425, they supply 13 metres of 32mm ducting and single phase cable, we dig the hole and lay the ducting (cable was £13 per metre). 

Gas, £492, this is a subsidised price, not sure why this is but trying to get this completed ASAP before subsidy is removed as this is obviously not a GREEN approach. 3 metres dig by Cadent, 8 metres by us and supply of 11 metres of 32mm pipe .

Still waiting for Water and sewage costs.

• Thanks 1

I had to pay £80 for my water application with Southern Water but I believe this also covers the survey. UKPN surveyed for free and didn't charge for a quote. Openreach charged a huge amount for a survey and then 6 months later said that they don't deal with what I want any more and told me to speak to the New Sites team. no offer of a refund for the survey or anything. ?

As was said earlier, the price can be almost anything. If the electric company want some help upgrading the local network they will try to get you to contribute. Here is an example from 2003. I ask for the service pole that serves just my barn and my neighbour’s bungalow to be moved 3.6m back down the run of cable. It is on my land and will remain in my land in the new position. All I really want is the end stay to be in the new position. The power company spent six months dreaming up schemes that would help them. What they finally wanted was me to pay £12,500 for them to put up a larger capacity pole mounted substation on a local farmers land. They also wanted me to arrange and pay for wayleaves from that farmer and another neighbour. Naturally, we just dropped the whole idea.
As long ago as 1980 we had to abandon a house purchase, it had no mains electricity. The asking price for the house was £8k but the quote for the electric supply came in at £10k and we had to do all the digging and put in the duct. £10k was a lot in 1980.

more recent example, last new build was 2012. Electric £3800, water £2900, gas £380. Like you, adjacent to a highway, max dig was 10m for the electric because that was in the far verge. Gas was a false figure, their plans were wrong and it cost them way more than that but they did honour the quote. That was in North Yorkshire.

• Thanks 1