How often do you need to access your MVHR?

I’m trying to figure out whether it’s a bad idea to site my MVHR in a hard to access part of my loft. If I need to access it once every 4 months or so that would be fine, but any more regular than that would be annoying (in which case I will change my layout).

2 minutes ago, hendriQ said:

I’m trying to figure out whether it’s a bad idea to site my MVHR in a hard to access part of my loft. If I need to access it once every 4 months or so that would be fine, but any more regular than that would be annoying (in which case I will change my layout).

When you're older and 4 stone heavier?

I used to be able to crawl along the triangle formed by our front eaves to access the loft where all the cables go down into the cu along with various pipes that run down there. 

There's a fair chance now I'd get stuck and have a clutcher!

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, hendriQ said:

I’m trying to figure out whether it’s a bad idea to site my MVHR in a hard to access part of my loft.

Is the position too tight to be able to remove the heat exchanger if required. Your MIs may suggest an annual clean.

Frequency shouldn't be a problem, but if 'hard to access' means 'confined space',  just make sure you've enough space to be able to carry out routine maintenance i.e pulling our the heat exchanger for cleaning.

Edited by Roundtuit
cross-posted with Peter. What he said!

1 hour ago, Roundtuit said:

Frequency shouldn't be a problem, but if 'hard to access' means 'confined space',  just make sure you've enough space to be able to carry out routine maintenance i.e pulling our the heat exchanger for cleaning.

For a unit that is about 750mm high, 450 wide and about 500mm deep how much space do you think is necessary? The area I have in mind is about 2m high and 1.5m deep, but very narrow. Probably around 1.1m in width.

11 hours ago, hendriQ said:

For a unit that is about 750mm high, 450 wide and about 500mm deep how much space do you think is necessary? The area I have in mind is about 2m high and 1.5m deep, but very narrow. Probably around 1.1m in width.

Sounds reasonable, but I guess it depends on what model mvhr you get.  Maintenance on our is pretty much all from the front.  As @Oz07
said, the ducting, silencer, manifolds etc do take up more space than you'd think, so it's worth spending some time planning it out.