Shower inset shelves

DeeJunFan

Hi guys

What are the thoughts on inset shelves in the shower area. 

When I went to a bathroom design place they were telling me to put stud walls in all the bathrooms for this very reason and I'm starting to build the studs now. 

Doing it DIY with my father and he thinks they are a terrible idea. That I will get a lot of water leakage with them.

Anyone any thoughts? Do they need to be a certain distance from shower head or is there a good enough tanking system that I could use? 

Damian

You mean like this?

alcove_zps0fb732df

Yep, I'll be doing it in spades! :) Probably two vertical ones either side of the shower corner which itself will be mitred. The alcoves will be LED back lit of course.

This is the corner:

SAM_2667

Already part studded out then @Nickfromwales posted a pic of one of his installs with a nice mitred corner! 

Edited by Onoff
I'm drinking Honeydew!

18 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

I have two in my main shower but mine are block. You have to clean the water out after a shower as it pools under the shampoo bottles.

Screenshot_20170212-002457.png

Very nice that!

I did wonder about that issue. First thought was to run the UFH up the wall and under the shelves. I didn't do that. I was half considering having the shelf on an angle so the water sheds of it's own accord and a level st/st mesh or basket or rods for the bottles to sit on. 

• Like 2

image.thumb.jpeg.072568bc383f2ab0ee16a9aa1ddc47ab.jpeg

I decided to make this one a bit higher so it missed the direct flow of water. All the tiles and trims were set into clear CT1 and pushed n until it oozed out of the grout lines / gaps etc. I wiped that excess off with wipes, making sure none was left flush with the surface of the tiles / trims, and left it to cure. I then gunned a colour matched silicone onto the remaining gaps. 

You could lay that on its back, fill it with water and it wouldnt lose a drop. ;)

• Like 3

So we are looking to have 2 insets similar to yours decky that will be about 500mm apart with shower head central above. 

Should we move them? 

We were also hoping to have one directly below the shower. We had this flash of genius around 1am one night and now the stud is built. 

This is the shower and larger one above the bath. 

20170211_161911.jpg

Not that keen on inset shelves. 

Extra complication and my 80 year old mum would not be able to reach.

We have a floorstanding unit like this that stands in a corner of the shower, about 90cm high.

I quite like the glass cleaner mount, though I would probably have a suction book to the glass.

71ZY68L3+KL._SL1500_.jpg

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

Thanks guys, 

I was hoping it was something simple enough to work around.

Would anyone recommend the Aquaseal type products? Tanking paint for the wetrooms?  

Seems like something pretty simple to do at only around £20 for 5 litres, shouldn't be all that expensive to get a shower cubicle covered up.  They also do a tape for corners that i could put around the insets.

Then could go the CT1 approach @Nickfromwales talked about?

SWMBO has her heart set on having the insets and i quite like the look of them.

haven't measured the shower units as yet @Declan52  We are going to have the actual shower valve on the block wall.  If you zoom in you can see the tracking.  And then just pipe the mixed water to the shower head on the stud.  So hoping we will be alright.

Cheers

Damian

17 hours ago, Onoff said:

Very nice that!

I did wonder about that issue. First thought was to run the UFH up the wall and under the shelves. I didn't do that. I was half considering having the shelf on an angle so the water sheds of it's own accord and a level st/st mesh or basket or rods for the bottles to sit on. 

Rods and baskets etc give hard to clean gaps and crannies. Black crap soon starts to hide in there :/. I'd just have the tile so it's one wipe clean and job done. 

2 hours ago, DeeJunFan said:

Thanks guys, 

I was hoping it was something simple enough to work around.

Would anyone recommend the Aquaseal type products? Tanking paint for the wetrooms?  

Seems like something pretty simple to do at only around £20 for 5 litres, shouldn't be all that expensive to get a shower cubicle covered up.  They also do a tape for corners that i could put around the insets.

Then could go the CT1 approach @Nickfromwales talked about?

SWMBO has her heart set on having the insets and i quite like the look of them.

haven't measured the shower units as yet @Declan52  We are going to have the actual shower valve on the block wall.  If you zoom in you can see the tracking.  And then just pipe the mixed water to the shower head on the stud.  So hoping we will be alright.

Cheers

Damian

My shower valve wouldn't have fitted on a single skin block wall without it poking into the wardrobe behind that wall so just check before you set all in stone.

1 hour ago, Declan52 said:

My shower valve wouldn't have fitted on a single skin block wall without it poking into the wardrobe behind that wall so just check before you set all in stone.

I was going by the plumber. So hopefully he can sort it out. Would be a balls of the valves were that big. I'll have to shop around. 

Yeah tank and tape was my thinking. I'll be sure to mention  the lights. She will love that. 

Tanking and taping is a good fail safe, but then your discussing dealing with what happens to water that gets behind the tiles, rather than how to stop it GETTING behind the tiles. ;). :/

When you tile around timber structures, such as these boxing ins, the grout cannot be relied upon as the final watertight seal. You must use a flexible sealant of some sort, even if it's just directly behind the tiles at the open edges / grout junctions, to prevent water getting behind the tiles. Capillary action will suck water in like a straw.

When tanking, also consider the path that this trapped water will take. It cannot be allowed to get behind the plasterboard, it cannot get to any timber. Make sure you tank from head height all the way to the junction between the wall and floor. Then you need to make sure that any water that gets there, cannot sit there. 

Check out this thread about the wetroom in that pic as I go into great detail there. :)

• Like 1

So it wont really matter how far away from the shower they are.  If they get water in them at all they will need to be fully water proofed.

Guy in the bathroom place was trying to advise us to go with Mosaics in the insets but i guess that would be the worst thing to do given the extra grout area. 

So tank, and large tile into bed of CT1 to fill all the gaps.