Planning permission regarding replacement dwelling

JBB77

Hello,

does anyone know how the LPAs will view a replacement dwelling if it was requested to extend it?

Does the “original house” still refer back to the property that was demolished, or will the new house now be classed as the “original house?”

I’m trying to gauge how much % increase I would be allowed and it all depends on the original house.

Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

thanks 

The definition is not dis-similar to that as referred to in the Permitted Development handbook...

“Original means a building as it existed on 1 July 1948 where it was built before that date, and as it was built if built after that date.”

The percentage increase would only normally apply to dwellings within the Green Belt. If however you are trying to explore the maximum uplift, you could utilise PD rights on the original house and secure them via a LDC application. Your LPA may request you build out the PD extensions before submitting an application for a replacement dwelling based on the PD/extended floor area plus 30%. LPA’s have different rules and regulations on this. 

Hi DevilDamo

Thanks for the reply

You are right, it is a property in the green belt. There was a 1000sq/ft pre 1948 house that was demolished in 2011 and a replacement 1500 sq/ft dwelling put in its place.  It had its PD rights taken away when the replacement was built.

My LPA will allow an increase 40% of the “original house.” In considering my application will they still refer back to the original dwelling that was knocked down, or is the 2011 replacement dwelling now classed as the original house ?

Can be worth a conversation with the planning officer. I'm in the greenbelt, and i've got a nightmare Parish Council, who object to everything. I managed to get from 600sq ft bungalow, to 3200sq ft . I first used PD rights to the max, and drew up a very ulgy building. Then sent him 4 designs for extending the bungalow, with 1 1/2 floors, but slightly smaller footprint, and got that passed. The bungalow is shite, so i went back in to planning for a knock and build at full 2 floors, slightly smaller footprint. Got it passed.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Hi JBB77

We find ourselves in exactly the same situation as you - green belt, pre 1948 house demolished and rebuilt in 2013/14, LPA then allowed 80% increase, PD taken away and while researching our options came across your forum. We are now looking to extend and thinking of only extending as much as PD would have allowed us (if we had it) to try and compromise with the LPA. Could I ask if you proceeded with your plans and if so had any joy? Did the LPA class the house you built in 2011 as the original house ?

thanks

• 2 months later...

Hi AlexWK

I haven’t proceeded yet, but will do in future. After researching many previous planning decisions in my LPA I found a scenario very similar to ours. The notes in the decision letter clearly said that the original dwelling was classed at the current dwelling (being the new house)

therefore my LPA allowed the extension up to PD sizes.

I have saved this as evidence for my future application! My local authority is west lancs but I would hope that all councils will treat it as the same.

I see your post was from August, please let us know how you got on.

thanks

James

• 6 months later...

Hi all, did anyone have any success in these scenarios? We are in exactly the same situation but we have put our plans in and the LPA are referring to the previous house throughout their response. It went to appeal and we are still awaiting an outcome. Just putting together another statement as requested by the IPA. 

James do you have the scenario your LPA accepted to hand? How did you find it? I’ll trail through our LPA tonight. 

Our property is in the national park so is also very tricky! 

thanks

laura