Hello!

JJD1

Hi,

I've read lots of posts and have gained some really helpful tips already, so thank you all for sharing!

My site is approx. 11m x 6m boundary to boundary - not much to play with. There are also some existing rights of way across the land to garages which I will need to honour, so it leaves me with an interesting challenge! There is a lot of industrial Victorian architecture around, so I'm hoping to keep a nod to that in the design (although budget might limit me somewhat!). I have been playing around with Sketchup (haven't we all!?) and think I'm finally starting to get the hang of it... sort of. I'm sure professionals would not agree and if anyone knows how to get rid of the lines between storeys or auto cut windows into 300mm thick walls, please let me know because it is starting to drive me crazy. I've added some pictures below and would welcome your thoughts. The intention is that the staircase would run directly up the centre, allowing for a room either side on each level.

I am also working to develop a comprehensive project plan, which includes a breakdown of costs. I have made a start, but if anyone would be willing to share any templates for comparison/cross check (specific details not required, I am purely interested in the structure/items to make sure I'm not missing anything), any project plans or spreadsheets would be very gratefully received!

I'm at the very early stages of thinking about this project/potential nightmare, so would appreciate all your comments from your own experience. 

Questions of this moment are:

1) Construction methods/materials... where to begin!? SIPs, timber, steel, block...? I am keen to keep the build as environmentally friendly as possible, but budget will unfortunately have a part to play. Where did you start with considering the options?

2) Does the 'floating overhang' limit my options of construction methods/material?

3) Does the fact the building would be 4 storeys limit my options too?

4) Estimating costs - what are your thoughts on Jewson Aviator?

Thanks

image.png.84f3c64dfd592ba94086f3427ac37972.png

image.thumb.png.0de8040c48c2d95440f81a19413558de.png

image.thumb.png.3c986b32bb091fb418b6608d4c4152b8.png

Hello. Interesting project.

Tight is the word isn't it? 

9 hours ago, JJD1 said:

any project plans or spreadsheets would be very gratefully received!

1) Construction methods/materials... where to begin!? SIPs, timber, steel, block...? I am keen to keep the build as environmentally friendly as possible, but budget will unfortunately have a part to play. Where did you start with considering the options?

2) Does the 'floating overhang' limit my options of construction methods/material?

3) Does the fact the building would be 4 storeys limit my options too?

You are new to us so you might well not have discovered the power of the local site search 

Here's a site search for the term spreadsheet in the title   (here)

You can also search this site from Google like this 

Capture.JPG.ee65713ad0f085fb362b79ec480c06d0.JPG

In relation to question 1 the answer is, genuinely, anywhere. Just do it. (Stopped wearing Nike trainers some time ago - too old ?)

As far as 2 and 3 are concerned, I have no idea, but I'd start by chatting  to an SE 

Now, can I ask an obvious question: do you have Planning Permssion?

22 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Tight is the word isn't it? 

Something like that...

Here's a site search for the term spreadsheet in the title   (here)

Thanks for this! I have looked through all of these but still haven't found one. My computer won't let me convert those that say to download and convert back to .xls files. I'll keep looking and will aim to share mine when it's complete. Or when I think it's complete, at least.

Now, can I ask an obvious question: do you have Planning Permssion?

Not yet, but pre-planning advice was very promising!

Welcome. 

On looking at that, your only really viable construction method would be steel portal frame to sort the overhangs and tbh you would need some serious underground engineering to make it work. 

As @Russell griffiths said - put a column on the outer corner and you will substantially reduce your issues but really need to understand what you mean when you say this

10 hours ago, JJD1 said:

There are also some existing rights of way across the land to garages which I will need to honour

What do you actually mean ..?? The two garages at the back ..?? If so you could build a wall to the right and come up off that but all this assumes you own the land below and it isn’t some sort of flying freehold ..?? 

Your other consideration is to extend the garages - even bringing them forward half the depth would make your structure substantially easier to construct but one thing you need to bear in mind is for at least 6-8 weeks they won’t have any access while you’re doing groundworks. So check your access criteria carefully - do they need (or even use..?) vehicle access to them ..?

Also .. it is a very brutalist design ..! If there are garages, that means houses. What are the rest of the houses like in the area as that has to be a consideration or you will never get planning. 

To price this you are going to need a decent structural engineer and a quantity surveyor - Jewsons will have no clue ..! 

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

On looking at that, your only really viable construction method would be steel portal frame to sort the overhangs and tbh you would need some serious underground engineering to make it work. 

As @Russell griffiths said - put a column on the outer corner and you will substantially reduce your issues but really need to understand what you mean when you say this

Thanks Peter. I had considered a column on the outer edge, but it's unlikely to be possible, just because of the site constraints. Will keep it in mind though. 

Your other consideration is to extend the garages - even bringing them forward half the depth would make your structure substantially easier to construct but one thing you need to bear in mind is for at least 6-8 weeks they won’t have any access while you’re doing groundworks. So check your access criteria carefully - do they need (or even use..?) vehicle access to them ..?

The 'garages' that I referenced are in fact just a single brick wall with garage doors in them, which provide access to neighbouring gardens. There will certainly be some time where access is not possible and there will be some negotiation to be had. It's more the parking spaces in front of the garage doors that are the issue that physical access to the gardens beyond.

Also .. it is a very brutalist design ..! If there are garages, that means houses. What are the rest of the houses like in the area as that has to be a consideration or you will never get planning. 

It is! It's in a very architecturally eclectic area with residential and commercial buildings spanning Victorian design from right through to post modernism. 

Thanks for the comments.

Edited by JJD1

1 hour ago, JJD1 said:

It's more the parking spaces in front of the garage doors that are the issue that physical access to the gardens beyond.

So that is a flying freehold ..?? Or you own the parking spaces but they have perpetual usage ..?? Or they own the spaces and you’re hoping to build over the top ..?? 

That alters a lot of things ..!! I would also look to rebuild their access at your cost but I would say that there is definitely some answers needed before you get much further. 

3 hours ago, PeterW said:

So that is a flying freehold ..?? Or you own the parking spaces but they have perpetual usage ..?? Or they own the spaces and you’re hoping to build over the top ..?? 

That alters a lot of things ..!! I would also look to rebuild their access at your cost but I would say that there is definitely some answers needed before you get much further. 

The land is held on a long leasehold. The leaseholders of the gardens behind the plot are the beneficiaries of the rights of way, which is supposedly written into their leases. I will be seeking legal advice on this and I am just making very early stage enquiries to see what might be feasible in the worst case scenario. Even if rights of way are provided for in the leases, my understanding is that does not give rise to parking, but rather just to the right to pass over the land. I say that the parking spaces are more likely to be an issue as it doesn't seem that anyone actually uses either of the garage doors to access their garden, but the parking spaces are in frequent use. 

Are tthere ways in which you can provide alternative parking spaces or garages? eg by buying a bit of land close by, or leasing spaces or something?

Purely on house value and budget, it might be worth it.

Might involve a bit of mouth-stuffing with gold.

51 minutes ago, ProDave said:

So you are wanting to build a house over someone elses access / parking space, so someone else will be parking their vehicle under your house?  That might be "interesting" for insurance.

Where will you park your car?

It would definitely be a challenge for multiple reasons! Do you mean for their insurance, or mine? In either scenario, I don’t think the ‘right to park’ exists, but the right to pass over the land likely does.

The plot is in central London, so a car is not required. The site has a very good PTAL rating.

39 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Are tthere ways in which you can provide alternative parking spaces or garages? eg by buying a bit of land close by, or leasing spaces or something?

Purely on house value and budget, it might be worth it.

Might involve a bit of mouth-stuffing with gold.

Might need more than gold in this instance! The plot is in central London and land in the area is at a premium, hence going to so much effort to overcome the challenges.