Building Control advising against ICF

I have recently approached building control to see if they would sanction the new 350mm Amvic block which is pending BBA approval.  They have informed me that they will not sanction any building fabric which does not have full BBA certification.  Whilst I accept this stance the surveyor also states:

"I have no issue with the use of different building products but from a professional aspect would question the use of mixing construction techniques across a single domestic project.  I would personally advise adding the extension in cavity construction as per the main original property."

There are two issues I have with this:

1.  The original house is a 225mm solid wall so he obviously hasn't looked at this properly.

2.  Is he really advising that older properties should only be extended using the techniques employed for the original build and new building techniques should not be embraced.

Anyway this is only his advice which I will choose to ignore.  Additionally I have now lost confidence in the LABC and will instead use Stroma for the building control element of the build.

Not really a question here but just thought it worth sharing. 

4 minutes ago, bradders3109 said:

I have recently approached building control to see if they would sanction the new 350mm Amvic block which is pending BBA approval.  They have informed me that they will not sanction any building fabric which does not have full BBA certification.  Whilst I accept this stance the surveyor also states:

"I have no issue with the use of different building products but from a professional aspect would question the use of mixing construction techniques across a single domestic project.  I would personally advise adding the extension in cavity construction as per the main original property."

There are two issues I have with this:

1.  The original house is a 225mm solid wall so he obviously hasn't looked at this properly.

2.  Is he really advising that older properties should only be extended using the techniques employed for the original build and new building techniques should not be embraced.

Anyway this is only his advice which I will choose to ignore.  Additionally I have now lost confidence in the LABC and will instead use Stroma for the building control element of the build.

Not really a question here but just thought it worth sharing. 

They are just ignorant. Get it spec'ed up properly and submit it, basically they are holding you back because they don't know. If they were smart, they would let you do it and learn. Typical public sector worker. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Its unlike you to be quite so sweeping in your judgement.

I think have spent the better part of 2 weeks trying to get council departments to see reason and logic, however I have failed and it has left me in a highly judgmental mood! They have consulted us for advice, they don't like the advice, so decide to proceed how they think it should be done but want us to "design" it to their spec. Makes one a bit annoyed to say the least. 

• Like 2

Word on the grapevine is that LABC are trying to stop providing warranties on ICF and some other mmcs.

The last set of T's and C's I saw wouldn't allow timber lintels.  

Finding someone with a relatively local office and experience of the particular MMC eliminates a lot of issues.

• 2 weeks later...

For me the irritating thing is ignorance.

LABC and the like clearly don’t want to understand the relatively new to the market building systems, because their knowledge is less than the self builders (like us)!!, who have carried out many hours/days of research and due diligence regarding these different methods of construction, and I might add its our money we are ploughing into these methods and not theirs.

It would be refreshing to hear of any building control surveyors that have actually taken the time to really study and understand these systems.

spec a system with BBA approval - they will all have their preferences but using a system without a BBA is your issue here not the actual construction method - all they want is a paper trial so if something goes wrong they can say it had BBA so not their responsibilty