Fitting Lights to Lapped Planks - Opinions Please

Ralph

One of the things that I did not think about when going for the lapped Cedral planks was the pain in the hoop that fitting external lights would cause. 

Because the planks angle back any light fittings, even if you get them across one plank are tilted. It's a small thing but it's bugging me. 

I was thinking about getting some gasket material that was either compressible or I could cut to a taper to kind of shim the light and stop water getting in. 

Any opinions on whether this would work or would it just look rubbish?

Thanks

Cedral Plank Light.jpg

1 hour ago, markc said:

just put a packer under the top edge, dont `seal` the back as water will get in but then cant get out

I did think about that but would it not leave a gap down the side if I just pack the top? 

1 minute ago, Ralph said:

I did think about that but would it not leave a gap down the side if I just pack the top? 

It will, but unless the lamp fittings are really tall no one will ever notice the small tapering gap, i thought some i did would annoy the hell out of me but ive never notioced them.

22 minutes ago, markc said:

It will, but unless the lamp fittings are really tall no one will ever notice the small tapering gap, i thought some i did would annoy the hell out of me but ive never notioced them.

Good call, thanks for that.