Builders C.V

I am looking at structural warranty providers and I was discussing with one that I am looking to appoint contractors for packages of work rather than through a main contractor.

They are asking me to fill out a builders C

V, is that standard for self builders not using a main contractor?

Didn't have it on mine but, then again, my company is a rated Premier Guarantee and Build Zone developer even though this is a self build - go figure.  Interestingly my self build premium was half of the other 2 which are commercial plots.

Maybe stick down some credible b/s that sounds good - a lot of this is just ticking boxes with the underwriter.

4 minutes ago, Faz said:

Maybe stick down some credible b/s that sounds good - a lot of this is just ticking boxes with the underwriter.

That seems to be what this particular firm is trying to get at, and just wondering if it's the norm.

I have plenty of experence of management of projects for my career job which spans planning and building design.

What I don't have is loads of actual hands dirty construction project experience. 

13 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

I am looking at structural warranty providers and I was discussing with one that I am looking to appoint contractors for packages of work rather than through a main contractor.

They are asking me to fill out a builders C

V, is that standard for self builders not using a main contractor?

I had a similar thing with build zone 

Asking for the builder to be named experience etc 

I replied the clue is in the title 

and went to Protec 

There great They just want your money ?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

That seems to be what this particular firm is trying to get at, and just wondering if it's the norm.

I have plenty of experence of management of projects for my career job which spans planning and building design.

What I don't have is loads of actual hands dirty construction project experience. 

It is the management experience that counts mate - they are not looking for you to be slapping down bricks but being able to organise those who are in terms of safety and quality etc.

Just now, Faz said:

It is the management experience that counts mate - they are not looking for you to be slapping down bricks but being able to organise those who are in terms of safety and quality etc.

I will stick down I am currently project managing a new 26 storey office build then :)

... well only one technical discipline ? 

• Like 1

We have done a fair few through Build Zone and they have been pretty good - they have a bit of a faffing process at the time of issuing the cover note but, other than that, I can't complain.  The use Stroma as their warrant inspectors (you will also then use them for BC) and they are spot on - my next BCO visit is tomorrow at 10 but I am looking forward to it!  These guys are useful to engage with.

9 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

They are on my list but they aren't doing warranties right now.

Come 1st April when they do and Iif haven't started on site i will be giving them a call.

Yep three visits in two years 

Less than 30 minutes in total

Not worth the paper it’s printed on 

But we new we would sell and Protec are in the top 5 of the major lenders 

It is indeed just a rather meaningless piece of paper - just try to get them out to do anything past the developer indemnity period.  We still have Premier Guarantee trying to get us to do stuff  6 years after handover - so much for the 2 year developer indemnity.  This after charging a £250k premium on that scheme!

We are about to draw the line so we will see if they stick their hand in their pocket....