Disconnecting sink (for a while) without turning off stopcock

Oxbow16

Hi folks

We're looking to replace the small corner sink in our WC. We want to remove it before the plumber comes so that we can put in the brackets for the new sink and get things ready for the new connections.

Luckily there are isolation valves beneath the sink. But because the plumber isn't coming for a few weeks, I wanted to check in here what's the correct way to disconnect. Get it wrong and I guess I'll be reaching for the mains stop cock and calling the emergency plumber - something I want to avoid!!

So with the isolation valves turning the supply off, is it just a case of unscrewing the nut? Or would it be safer to leave the nut and cut the pipe above? What are the chance of getting it wrong and flooding the house?!?!

A couple of photos below...

Many thanks

IMG_20210223_163815241.thumb.jpg.11b7964beb084465ae4e97995a670f1c.jpg

IMG_20210223_163828016.thumb.jpg.b3393d06c7b3cd48478df730616fe356.jpg

Yes turn both those isolator valves off and undo the pipes above them. You need TWO large adjustable spanners, one to undo the top nut and one to hold the body of the valve to stop it turning.  Gland pliers will do the job of holding the valve while you undo the nut.

It you remove the trap, tape over the end of the waste pipe with duct tape to stop smells.

What's the pipe going through the wall under the basin?  Whatever that feeds will also be turned off.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Yes turn both those isolator valves off and undo the pipes above them. You need TWO large adjustable spanners, one to undo the top nut and one to hold the body of the valve to stop it turning.  Gland pliers will do the job of holding the valve while you undo the nut.

Would simply cutting the pipes above the nut be a bad idea?  I was just wondering if it would mean less likelihood of weeping/leaking if I don't have to touch the vavles other than to turn them off.  

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

What's the pipe going through the wall under the basin?  Whatever that feeds will also be turned off.

That's to an outside tap, so no problems there.  We've got enough rain to not have any use for that!  

1 hour ago, Declan52 said:

Your going to be paying a plumber to do the job so let them do it.

For a couple of reasons really...  One to save money.  We're have a baby belfast on wall brackets so i thought if I've already done the work to remove the current sink, fit the brackets, etc. it might make for an easier cheaper job.  And secondly , it will give us a chance to decide on what height is best, whether we want taps on some kind of backboard, or chased in wall taps.  It's all a bit hard to imagine as is, so hoping to remove it so we can have a play around...  

1 hour ago, Declan52 said:

You need a special type of spanner to reach up underneath the sink to turn the nut.

Do you mean where the tap connects to the sink?  I think I might have one of those spanners...  I'll go check.  

Thanks for the quick and helpful replies, much appreciated :)  

Yes you can cut the pipe but it will be awkward to get in there and do it.

As long as you grip the middle bit of the valve, the bit with the screw that you turn to isolate it, while undoing the top nut it is easy.  then you just lift off the basin still with the pipes connected to the taps.  You would need to cut the pipe to the outside tap as well.

If you don't might fighting with little more than just a hacksaw blade (as I doubt you will get the frame in) you could just cut the pipes above where the outside tap joins.