FFS ?

canalsiderenovation

Oh look, another plumbing issue.

Went into guess bedroom, was doing some cleaning and flushed some tissue down toilet. Noticed a bit of water went to wipe it up and this...Our LVT is now coming up.

Water looks 'muddy' in places.

We don't use this bathroom as such but it happens more easily when you flush. 

Any ideas what could be causing this? We have UFH too.

IMG_20210223_105306.thumb.jpg.529180417cc18c94d66e1fc23c543311.jpg

Edited by canalsiderenovation
  • Sad 1

Ground floor?

Does the video show the bathroom floor?

Is that floor covering a plastic laminate stuck down on the hard screed floor?

Are you saying immediately after flushing the toilet you see water droplets pushing up between the floor section?

Is there plumbing in a room above?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Moonshine said:

Check the easy bits first, connections to taps / toilet cistern? if its not an in wall cistern, check the threads that connect the cistern to the toilet bowl.

It's with furniture so the plumber really needs to come and sort it out.

16140791646032147093000453864387.thumb.jpg.3f9cbf2f452256cf11261a6a2e342fa2.jpg

1 minute ago, Jilly said:

I guess the flooring needs to come up

Well the plumber can pay for that!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, canalsiderenovation said:

It's with furniture so the plumber really needs to come and sort it out.

it could be worse, it could be a leak from a in wall cistern! 

At least you can get to the problem fairly easily, are there any panels that come off fairly easily?

2 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Ground floor?

Does the video show the bathroom floor?

Is that floor covering a plastic laminate stuck down on the hard screed floor?

Are you saying immediately after flushing the toilet you see water droplets pushing up between the floor section?

Is there plumbing in a room above?

It's a bungalow. That is the floor and it is gluedown LVT onto a screed.

It's now been a good hour since I flushed the toilet and still - here's a better video.

1 minute ago, canalsiderenovation said:

It's now been a good hour since I flushed the toilet and still - here's a better video.

QVC is calling, you could make a killing as a hand model! ?

My bet is on the cistern, is there any isolation valves you can shut off in the mean time?

32802_P&$prodImageMedium$

• Haha 1

I'm with @Moonshine, had a similar problem myself a long time ago, and only identified as toilet as used to put those Bloo blocks in so the stain was blue. In my case the cistern's weight had caused it to sag a little and pull the supply pipe out of the back of the toilet, blob of expanding foam behind it soon sorted it out!

Also as a side note, your toilet pan is missing the screw fixings to hold it to the floor on that photo.

2 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

QVC is calling, you could make a killing as a hand model! ?

? I'll consider it.

I can't reach the isolation valve I can see the bu$$er though. My arm ain't long enough.

3 minutes ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

Also as a side note, your toilet pan is missing the screw fixings to hold it to the floor on that photo.

Is that these holes? Every bloody toilet is missing them if so god only knows why they weren't done and where all the fixings went.16140798569963766787128997329837.thumb.jpg.56e621443b8875a2d55dbbde23cdbd90.jpg

3 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

? I'll consider it.

I can't reach the isolation valve I can see the bu$$er though. My arm ain't long enough.

Is that these holes? Every bloody toilet is missing them if so god only knows why they weren't done and where all the fixings went.16140798569963766787128997329837.thumb.jpg.56e621443b8875a2d55dbbde23cdbd90.jpg

Yeah thats the ones, you get a kit like this with each toilet to properly fix it: https://www.toolstation.com/rawlplug-wc-or-bidet-side-fixing-kit/p71320

Just don't sit down on it in a hurry if you catch my drift, as the only thing holding it where it is, is the silicone bead to the furniture!

Edited by MikeGrahamT21
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

you need a flat head screw driver to turn it, you may be able to reach it with a long screw driver, and turn it 90 degrees so the slot is perpendicular / across the flow direction.

Edited by Moonshine

6 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

you need a flat head screw driver to turn it, you may be able to reach it with a long screw driver, and turn it 90 degrees so the slot is perpendicular / across the flow direction.

Thanks I'll try now just hunting for a longer screwdriver. We don't ordinarily use it anyway but it's probably wise to get it off for now.

LVT shouldn't move like that either. It should be rock solid. 

No disaster, and they'll fix it. But definitely be cataloguing these errors seriously and how they are attended to, straight on the phone to the main contractor/ plumber and have him fix it. 

In my opinion you are sue plenty money back. 

Yes your plumber needs to remove that toilet and find the leak. However I glued my LVT down with non water based glue, water should not “unglue “ it. You have had so many plumber issues, I feel for you. You say it only leaks when the loo is flushed, so don’t flush it I hope he sorts it.

Edited by joe90

@canalsiderenovation

I agree that it's likely to be a leak from the cisten but, playing devils advocate, I've also had vinyl flooring fail on (commercial) projects like that because its been stuck down onto screed that hasn't had a chance to properly dry out. 

What happens is the moisture coming out of the screed emulsifies the water-based adhesive of the vinyl flooring. If you've ever had a cylinder head gasket fail on a car you'll know what to look for when you lift a section of the vinyl floor.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

I take it the plumber is not invited to the house warming party?  Hope you get it sorted

I really have to prevent myself from exploding when I see him because everything he has touched has been sh!t. We still owe him £600 but there is the damaged Roper Rhodes unit to sort (probably a Magic Man task) and now the LVT flooring to be replaced  - thank God we over ordered and have a few boxes left as it's a discontinued range and not in stock anywhere. I'm tempted to say we don't have any left and let him get the whole thing redone including the bedroom as the flooring is the same and flows into the bedroom from the ensuite. 

I'm confident the flooring has been done properly. When we had a leak in another bathroom from the toilet (ensuite) the flooring has been fine but obviously this has been there for some time unnoticed.

Edited by canalsiderenovation

10 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

... In fact the plumber said it's not the pipework at all as far as he is concerned. ....

I'd be checking that.  Which pipe work? Foul, or supply ?

Get yourself some drain dye and pop it in the cistern. Flush merrily, then (excuse me maam) squeeze. You might be lucky and see the dye . In which case Bingo.

Then get (or hire) a  thermal camera. And do a bit of investigation (Heres an example) You could also try stabbing around with a Damp Meter. The aim is to try and identify the lower temperature areas in the floor.

Good luck. I feel really .... yuk...  for you. Its no fun.

Ian