Small stone barn conversion

goatcarrot

While I’m waiting for other things to happen I’m looking at converting a small stone barn, 50m2, pointed outside with lime mortar. 

I have some questions about insulation and moisture management.

One side of the pitched roof is slated and has a bitumin type felt underneath all in good condition. The other side is wriggly tin so needs doing. 

The floor is 6” slab with 75mm of kingspan type under with dpm. 

Can anyone advise on the best strategy for insulating the walls and roof bearing in mind I want it to breathe? 

hiw much of a problem is it that one side of roof is not (I assume) breathable because of the felt?

if I use insulated lime plaster on the walls and a breathable insulation/membrane in the new half of the roof I don’t want to create a moisture trap on the non-breathable side. 

I intend to use MVHR and a small wood burner and fit good double glazed doors and windows. 

comments/criticism welcomed.

58 minutes ago, goatcarrot said:

... I was under the impression I’d not ...

Better safe than sorry.

Here's a start on the guidance  ( other parts of the guidance may be relevant in your case) . I ask my original question because in a similar situation as you, my Council refused permission on the basis that part of the eaves (2 meters long)  was 10mm above the permissible height for the class of permission I required.  (I'll dig the thread out if I have time)

@Jilly 's point about BRegs is likely also to be relevant because you are planning to make the space habitable.   

Whats to lose by asking whether permission is applicable in this case?

@ToughButterCup  thanks for the link I’ve already been through the planning portal and as it’s not an extension I think the garage conversion rules are more applicable? 

in which case yes, building regs will apply, no problem with that so presumably I’d need plans drawn up. I’d like to make two new openings too, one for french doors another for small window. 

That’s interesting about your eaves height, I’d hate to get caught out on a technicality like that so if you do have time I’d be grateful for more details. 

if conversion to living space was unacceptable then it would still be useful as office space as I do work from home. 

On 22/02/2021 at 11:18, goatcarrot said:

Ancillary accommodation to the main house so I was under the impression I’d not need planning

sorry what you are being told by @ToughButterCup

is correct  I think

separate building- my guess you will need change of use and will have to comply to everything .

go ask the questions from planning 

maybe pay a few quid and get preplanning conversation  with them 

• Thanks 1