Self build in Scotland - advice please?

2nd Time Around

Hi All

We are currently researching build costs, with a view to building a new house in South Aberdeenshire/Angus.  We built our current house, 20+ years ago, and it has been a great family home.  However, the project nearly fell at the first hurdle, as build quotes came back at way over the figure we'd budgeted.  We'd already obtained planning but had to go back and revise, so we could afford it.  We're obviously keen to not go through that stress again, so trying to acquire as much knowledge as we can! 

Looking to build a timber frame, prefer a main contractor, but will consider sub con if we can build up confidence/get someone to help PM.  Not keen to do any of the actual work ourselves, but would like to be involved with sourcing materials, admin etc.  House will be smallish, around 140m2, plus a garage, hopefully integral as this seems to be lower cost.  The "cost per square metre" method is a bit generic and various online costing tools are coming out with a wide variation. So we're hopeful of pulling together a more accurate budget, from information and recommendations on here.  

Particularly keen to engage with anyone in our area, to get personal reviews on companies that you've used, good/bad aspects of your build, and actual costs for various aspects.  

Thanks for reading and hope to hear from some of you :)

Hi and welcome.

If you don't want to do much actual work yourself I think you would be looking at £300K to build that.  Hopefully some of our Aberdeen area members can give a better idea if what things cost in that area.

We are near completing our second build, 17 years after the first one, and costs are not far off double.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Hi and welcome.

If you don't want to do much actual work yourself I think you would be looking at £300K to build that.  Hopefully some of our Aberdeen area members can give a better idea if what things cost in that area.

We are near completing our second build, 17 years after the first one, and costs are not far off double.

what would that 300k drop to if managing the build themselves i.e organising trades etc?

3 hours ago, ProDave said:

Hi and welcome.

Thanks.

I hope it can be done for less, as with the plot purchase this would make total build cost potentially more than it's worth.  I will keep reading and hopefully find ways of bringing costs down

3 minutes ago, 2nd Time Around said:

Thanks.

I hope it can be done for less, as with the plot purchase this would make total build cost potentially more than it's worth.  I will keep reading and hopefully find ways of bringing costs down

I am just coming to the end of a 5 year build doing a LOT of work myself, and the total cost including plot will be about £230K  I estimate the market value about £250K.  Had I not done 5 years of work, and just paid someone to do it all, I am certain the total cost would exceed market value.

Houses are simply too cheap in Scotland.

Prices will be higher where you are, but so will plot prices and probably labour.

Welcome @2nd Time Around

Lots of good info to be found. But defo err on the side of caution and do lots of research and that'll give you the best chance! 

6 hours ago, Ralph said:

Hi, we're coming near to the end of our build in Edzell. Happy to connect.

I used to go here as a child regularly shooting at a ace called the Gannochy, loved it. Stayed in the big hotel in town every time. 

3 hours ago, ProDave said:

Houses are simply too cheap in Scotland

Just linked to our low wages isn't it. Blows me away the wages and house costs down in England. When people say their budget is 600k...for a three bed semi....

12 minutes ago, SuperJohnG said:
6 hours ago, Ralph said:

I used to go here as a child regularly shooting at a ace called the Gannochy, loved it. Stayed in the big hotel in town every time. 

Angus Glens are a cracking place to live. Love it here.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SuperJohnG said:

Welcome @2nd Time Around

Lots of good info to be found. But defo err on the side of caution and do lots of research and that'll give you the best chance! 

Just linked to our low wages isn't it. Blows me away the wages and house costs down in England. When people say their budget is 600k...for a three bed semi....

Thanks.  Yes, that's what i'm hoping to do.  I have the time, so in a good position to research this to the Nth degree!

20 hours ago, ProDave said:

I am just coming to the end of a 5 year build doing a LOT of work myself, and the total cost including plot will be about £230K  I estimate the market value about £250K.  Had I not done 5 years of work, and just paid someone to do it all, I am certain the total cost would exceed market value.

Houses are simply too cheap in Scotland.

Prices will be higher where you are, but so will plot prices and probably labour.

That's a good price for your build, when it includes the plot.  Yes plot prices higher in Aberdeen and labour too, although it goes down as you travel out to Aberdeenshire or slightly further., hence big variations in build costs