Guttering Options

I've costed up the guttering etc in three different types. I had a full quote for it in Aluminium which was just over £4k, of which 54% was gutters and downpipes so I am scaling the other options on that basis. [NB: 84m guttering and 51m downpipe]

1. Aluminium: inc. 125mm gutters, 76mm downpipes - £4,080
  2. Brett Martin Cast Iron Effect: inc. 112mm gutters and 68mm downpipes - £1,936
  3. FloPlast Cast Iron Effect: inc. 112mm gutters and 68mm downpipes - £1,319
  4. Standard FloPlast: inc. 112mm gutters and 68mm downpipes - £341

It's amazing to see a factor of >10 in the price.

On ScrewFix someone wrote in a review of the FloPlast cast iron effect:

"This is standard plastic gutter that has been painted with a matt black textured paint to make it look like cast iron."

I am tempted to have a go with some textured spray paint and see if I can make something that looks decent. Paint isn't ideal, but if that's what the FloPlast is then same compromise. I'm happy with black but my wife is set against it so painting may be the only option anyway.

Is the Brett Martin cast iron effect moulded texture or painted as well? The big cost difference from FloPlast with Brett Martin is the cost of the downpipes as they look to have a connector moulded on.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MortarThePoint said:

Is the Brett Martin cast iron effect moulded texture or painted as well? The big cost difference from FloPlast with Brett Martin is the cost of the downpipes as they look to have a connector moulded on.

Fully moulded premium product and very long lasting. I use BM for all the rainwater goods and it is streets ahead of the cheap FloPlast stuff that cracks easily. 

30 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

The ally does look good but it's impossible to justify the price if you've got an eye on selling in future unless it's a super premium home. Think @Russell griffiths used something posh?

I do think it looks good with light coloured timber cladding, but personally I prefer something darker with brickwork.

3 hours ago, MortarThePoint said:

I used the Brett Martin placcy cast iron on a project but not sure it was worth the extra:

image.png.3d74543ff09394932f80f1179ab8cef1.png

I quite like the Guttercrest ali stuff we did below:

image.png.0f49b441a76f02384e17ab9e81c29cde.png

Next project will be grey plastic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

I used the Brett Martin placcy cast iron on a project but not sure it was worth the extra:

image.png.3d74543ff09394932f80f1179ab8cef1.png

That does look very smart. It's mainly the brackets on the down pipes that look so good. I found these which look good, but not quite as good as where the BM downpipe sections meet:

image.png.94416992b8278545a101048e6fe1d723.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/02/2021 at 14:12, joe90 said:

Well I used floplast cast iron effect and it looks very good, people have actually thought it was cast iron (from a distance!). does the job well and much cheaper than some.

I do like this product. What spacing did you use for the downpipe clips? With an offset bend did your downpipe become:

• 112 bend
  • pipe
  • 112 bend
  • clip
  • pipe + clip half way down
  • socket
  • shoe

1 hour ago, MortarThePoint said:

I do like this product. What spacing did you use for the downpipe clips? With an offset bend did your downpipe become:

• 112 bend
  • pipe
  • 112 bend
  • clip
  • socket
  • shoe

Yes, no shoe at the bottom as straight into  110mm adapter and drains.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I used seamless aluminium on my last house and will use the same again on the next one. To keep the costs down it can be combined with plastic down pipes although I opted for Ali. My friend who installed it said that the actual gutter isn’t much dearer than a good quality deep flow made of plastic. 
also has the added bonus of no joins (corners excluded but they are siliconed on) so no rubber seals to fail. 

1B57187F-8FE6-402C-B03E-4761887494AA.png